Anyone dive without a snorkel on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In wreck and tec diving I don’t use one (entanglement hazard). However, in water with surface chop I like to have one. Not so much for need, as comfort.

I dive wings, sometimes with double 130’s, and I am sometimes as much as 20 lbs over weighted at beginning of dives (18 lbs in just air alone). Inflating the BC enough to lift my head all the way out of the water in chop/waves tends to roll me forward and my face towards the water, as well as making it difficult to breath with the added pressure on chest straps. I prefer to float with mouth just below surface (minimal air in bc) and use snorkel to keep intake a little higher, accommodating for the chop. Much more comfortable for longer waits, and reduces likeliness of potential problems for me.

As far as using the reg’s for breathing in chop, I don’t believe in using my reg on the surface while waiting my turn, or return of the boat. That is reserve air for emergencies (that’s why I left it there), which can still happen to me or others even when I am already (theoretically) safe on surface. If I am to help rescue myself or other, I would prefer to have a little air left over in my tank. I am not sure I would like to (have to) make time in an emergency to find my pocket snorkel and dig it out.

I think (especially) new divers are wise to continue to keep one on, and use it (even if just for comfort) at surface. Better to have it and not need it than……etc.

Note: I am still chuckling (and shaking head) over the tec snorkels. I am trying to imagine their initial conception and materialization. LOL.

Solitude Diver:
In wreck and tec diving I don’t use one (entanglement hazard). However, in water with surface chop I like to have one. Not so much for need, as comfort.

I dive wings, sometimes with double 130’s, and I am sometimes as much as 20 lbs over weighted at beginning of dives (18 lbs in just air alone). Inflating the BC enough to lift my head all the way out of the water in chop/waves tends to roll me forward and my face towards the water, as well as making it difficult to breath with the added pressure on chest straps. I prefer to float with mouth just below surface (minimal air in bc) and use snorkel to keep intake a little higher, accommodating for the chop. Much more comfortable for longer waits, and reduces likeliness of potential problems for me.

As far as using the reg’s for breathing in chop, I don’t believe in using my reg on the surface while waiting my turn, or return of the boat. That is reserve air for emergencies (that’s why I left it there), which can still happen to me or others even when I am already (theoretically) safe on surface. If I am to help rescue myself or other, I would prefer to have a little air left over in my tank. I am not sure I would like to (have to) make time in an emergency to find my pocket snorkel and dig it out.

I think (especially) new divers are wise to continue to keep one on, and use it (even if just for comfort) at surface. Better to have it and not need it than……etc.

Note: I am still chuckling (and shaking head) over the tec snorkels. I am trying to imagine their initial conception and materialization. LOL.

What is the average psi you have left in those double 130's at the end of a dive?

Snorkel, snorkel......what's a snorkel? Plus it can be a hazard if your at depth and you accidently breath through your snorkel instead of your octo or other back up second stage.

bundy:
Snorkel, snorkel......what's a snorkel? Plus it can be a hazard if your at depth and you accidently breath through your snorkel instead of your octo or other back up second stage.
I believe the term you are looking for is "Darwin's little helper".

Curt Bowen:
What is the average psi you have left in those double 130's at the end of a dive?
Read the profile, ceritifed less than a year but experienced diver! Double 130's and a snorkel, that makes me chuckle

Albion:
Read the profile, ceritifed less than a year but experienced diver! Double 130's and a snorkel, that makes me chuckle

His profile is out of date, he's actually been diving for 580 days and not less than a year. That's 60% more ....

His logic is quite sound. If I was carrying that much weight I'd want an infinite air supply too.

Recreationial diving yes, Tec diving no.

No snorkel here. Hate it and always hated it.

OK, I'm probably being too sensitive on the subject, but I did give a few honest chances to diving with one and just couldn't find any use for it.

Not at Laguna Beach. I don't want a ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom