Anyone done a night dive @ Santa Monica Pier Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoBret

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About to do a night dive with Eco Dive Centre off the Santa Monica Pier Reef, anyone done this?

Ok so I did it seeing as no one has ever done this, well the 100 people that looked at my post anyway.

Booked the trip through Eco Dive Centre, very smooth transaction with loads of follow up phone calls and info provided closer to the day. Went aboard Giant Stride from Marina Del Rey, approximately 25 mins to get to the dive site. Suited up and did a giant stride off Giant Stride with my buddy. This was at dusk but we both had our lights on. Descended to 25 - 30ft and found out there was about 2ft of viz. Carried on with the dive despite bad viz and discovered a very untouched eco system. Horn sharks, Lobster, Scorpion Fish and Garibaldi were abundant and were frequently spotted during the 35 minute dive. I can only imagine what this place would be like during a flat spell with good visibility. A great dive none the less and highly recommended.

Can you dive the Santa Monica Pier from shore? Sounds like a nice dive despite the vis. Sadly, the vis has been pretty poor in-shore all year long....I'm hoping it will clear up soon!

I dont know really, it would be a long swim as the reef pinnacle is just past the end of the pier to the west, easily seen at low tide.

Hrmm interesting sounding and thanks for the report! "Just past the end of the pier" doesn't sound too bad. How many yards offshore would you guess?

If you look at google map's image of the pier, you will see the breakwall to the NW. It's approximately 1,300 feet off shore (480 yards). A tad more than a quarter mile.

If you look at google map's image of the pier, you will see the breakwall to the NW. It's approximately 1,300 feet off shore (480 yards). A tad more than a quarter mile.

Wow! For that long of a swim, it better be as good as Deadman's or OML!

Does sound like an interesting dive though.

After doing this dive I am considering doing the scooter course and renting one, would be an awesome dive and because the boat seldom goes to this site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom