Anyone else hate the word "newbie"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to google FNG...... but I would prefer that to newb!! I think I need help!:idk:

:rofl3::rofl3:

I don't mind the word newbie because in diving I'm always a newbie, noob, or how ever you want to spell it.

To me, it means I'm learning, and in diving I always want to know what I don't know...and trust me I don't know a whole lot. :D

I have no problem with it. If I'm doing some new thing like DM, I refer to myself as once again a newbie.

I don't mind it, I've been diving for close to 30 years. But when it come to diving CCR I'm a newbie.

Al

"Newbie" does have a bit of a childish tone to it. If I remember correctly it's origin dates all the way back to texting on a numeric keypad (for those of you that remember back that far) when it was easier to thumb out 'n00b' instead of actually typing out an entire correct word. For some reason it has hung around and evolved into the insult of the English language that it now is.

I would think that 'beginner' would be more fitting, accurately positioning the diver's ability on a scale while still showing courtesy.

wrybosome:
you need some word to describe novices.

What's wrong with "novice?"

"Newbie" does sound like the person using the word never got out of elementary school.

Words don't offend people.... they are just words.

They are only offensive when people allow them be offensive and make them out to be offensive.

"Newbie" does have a bit of a childish tone to it. If I remember correctly it's origin dates all the way back to texting on a numeric keypad (for those of you that remember back that far) when it was easier to thumb out 'n00b' instead of actually typing out an entire correct word. For some reason it has hung around and evolved into the insult of the English language that it now is.

I would think that 'beginner' would be more fitting, accurately positioning the diver's ability on a scale while still showing courtesy.
As with most commonly-believed-to-come-from-texting words, it predates it quite a bit..
It goes ATLEAST back to the vietnam war.

From urbandictionary;
"A term that was developed in Vietnam since 60% of the new recruits died in their first 3 months of service.

The senior soldiers used to name the new recruits "newbies" so that they didn't have to know the real names of the soldiers when they died in the field.
We lost another newbie today Captain."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom