anyone ever voluntarily paid the 16% duty tax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked for his 'best price' which was the same price he initially quoted, and I paid it. Happy now?

Now I get you! So you DID in fact try to get a lower price than he initially quotes but you failed to get it. You know you paid more than the item was worth and consoled yourself in thinking the guy probably needed the money anyway.

Oh, they we are more alike than different. I am not a good haggler either and often pay more than I should. However I figure, ah, well he can get a few extra Sol tonight. :drunks:

Now when we take my nephew along, I send him into battle. He was buying some gifty chotchkies from a guy in the square to take to his mom. I couldn't take it as this old guy and my young nephew crossed swords. I would have bowed out much sooner however my nephew's frugality won out. Surprisingly the old guy seemed very happy with the transaction after it was all said and done. Maybe he just didn't have that many kids to feed......
:eat:

I said to to my nephew afterwards, "How could you do work the guy down like that?" He said, "it was never personal, it was strictly business. I always liked the guy."

(Ok, he didn't actually say that, though it would have been cool if he did.....)

I'm nervously bringing ~$600 worth of merchandise into Cozumel. My friend said to just take it out of the boxes and not say a word, but I am a bit afraid of spending my vacation (and more!) in a Mexican prison without him. :)

Any sage words of advice? The tax is about $42, and I think my conscience would be happier. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Eileen

In your case with the electronics, yes - I would decalre those. Is the value of the speakers $600 or are there other odds and ends? The reason I ask is because some stuff you really may not need to declare. If it's small odds and ends - don't worry about it - declare the speakers.

When I carried down the "racing" wheelchair for Gaby Loco I did not declare it. When questioned I just replied that it was essentially a bicycle which is allowed in duty free as sporting equipment. One time carrying down a bunch of boat parts I was stopped...I made them look at the back of the customs form which says you may bring in up to a 16 ft boat duty free.... and my small boat was just pieces in the bag. With a shrug and shake of the head they let me through. In 20 years I've got a whole bunch of stories...perhaps the best one was when I really got caught "dirty". But don't worry, you will never get put in jail unless its drugs.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Here's the ending to the story....

I checked the box on the form, stating that I had over the $300 limit with me. No questions asked after my bag went through x-ray, the woman I handed the form to just said "press the button", I did and it was green, and she said I was all set. At that point I wasn't going to mention that I owed tax.

In the end I did what I thought I should, and it worked out as if I hadn't. Almost made up for the fact that it rained all week. LOL

Eileen

You know we got in yesterday. I had the missus and my mom with in our group on one customs form so we could get up to 900. We came out of the xray. My aunt came too. She got the red light. We got the red light right after her. All of us went over and the dug through all the bags. I explained this and that and the dontation here and there. Never asked for a receipt and sent us on our way.

(Note the difference. I was legal.... :) )

---------- Post added September 16th, 2013 at 01:15 AM ----------

I am teasing....

I'm nervously bringing ~$600 worth of merchandise into Cozumel. My friend said to just take it out of the boxes and not say a word, but I am a bit afraid of spending my vacation (and more!) in a Mexican prison without him. :)

Any sage words of advice? The tax is about $42, and I think my conscience would be happier. Thoughts? Comments?

Another trip, and another $600+ worth of merchandise going with me. Looks like the duty free allowance increased in the middle of December, and the limit is now $500 instead of the prior $300 according to the SAT website. Still looks like the tax rate is 16%, although that may get updated after the first of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom