anyone ever voluntarily paid the 16% duty tax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, your profile says location Pennsylvania/not in Coz...

Have I been to Cozumel, no. I have been to the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, South America and India though.

Most of these threads seem to be started and perpetuated by people living in the US, who are travelling to Cozumel on holiday. That's my point, if you can afford the trip then... as Cartman would say "What's the big effin' deal...?" Not to pick on the OP or this thread in particular, but it's a trend

I dream of being rich enough to afford a nice boat like the one in your avatar

What's this duty tax? Is this for people moving there or something or are all tourists supposed to pay something for their equipment they bring in?

Only because my commute from my home in Coz would be a b$%^&....

Have I been to Cozumel, no. I have been to the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, South America and India though.

Nice. Not really relevant, but I would love to visit all of those. Except maybe Vietnam.

Most of these threads seem to be started and perpetuated by people living in the US, who are travelling to Cozumel on holiday. That's my point, if you can afford the trip then... as Cartman would say "What's the big effin' deal...?" Not to pick on the OP or this thread in particular, but it's a trend

Ah, my dear friend, there you fail to account for the Cozaholic syndrome. Much as it is VERY important to the severe alcoholic to get the best deal on the best priced hooch, the confirmed, raging Cozaholic must conserve funds to get MORE Coz.

I can understand. Those fancy places you mentioned I am sure are much like fine wine. You don't worry about the price of the bottle at your fine dining diner. We gutter Cozaholics are just trying to get by and get that next Coz fix. Once you have mainlined Coz.... Well anyway, you get my point.

You, as a Coz teetotaler, might have a hard time understanding our affliction. Alas it is the cross we Cozaholics must bear.

In the same fashion, Coz makes everyone feel like a stakeholder. How 'local' you are is an ongoing social game. All kinds of things earn you points to say you are more local than the next guy. Even the Pod People come away feeling Coz is a little bit theirs.

So getting the best deal in your other 'home' is just second nature. Even if it is only one week a year. (perish the thought)

Well you know the Maximus is a beaut. 400HP of raging dive machine. I dream of being rich enough to own it too. Of course if Scuba with Alison sold it to me, Alison would probably want to stop working on it and that would be a drawback.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 02:20 PM ----------

What's this duty tax? Is this for people moving there or something or are all tourists supposed to pay something for their equipment they bring in?

It is regular duty. You get a personal exemption of $300 of new stuff. Not your gear or clothes or such. Just like new merchandise. Doesn't so much affect regular travelers, just importing.

Like if you were to bring in a new kitchenaide stand mixer either for yourself or a friend, the value on your receipt, or in it absence, a value they assign and apply it to your $300. Go over and pay the duty on the difference.

perhaps if you sidestep the duty when travelling, search out cheap meals and accommodations, you too could have a boat like that :)

I am glad someone posted this question, I was wondering the same as I am bringing in 4 dozen Custom tye dye t shirts for my buddies dive op and was worried about getting through customs in Cozumel...the receipt will be less than $300 but still 48 of the same t shirt in diff sizes has me a bit concerned.

I am glad someone posted this question, I was wondering the same as I am bringing in 4 dozen Custom tye dye t shirts for my buddies dive op and was worried about getting through customs in Cozumel...the receipt will be less than $300 but still 48 of the same t shirt in diff sizes has me a bit concerned.

I did recieve a minor correction to my info. You might have issues if you have alot of the same item so it is clearly items to be sold. I guess worst case you would pay 16% or whatever on the value of them?

I hear CZM is a little more 'difficult' in the customs department.

Last edited:

"Duty" and "tax" are essentially synonymous in the current case, so "duty tax" is redundundant.

In any event, practically every country has this, including the US. There's a certain value of goods you can carry across the border into a country without owing duty. Above that, you pay some percentage. Certain items often have specific lower limits or special higher duty. Tobacco and alcohol are common examples. Jewels and watches (especially mechanical watches with jeweled movements) are sometimes special cases as well.

I bring in tee shirts usually 50 or so every time I visit Cozumel and have never had a problem.I tell the custom agents that they are a gift for the guys at the dive shop and they say no problem.

Are you traveling solo? The franchise is $300 per person and you can combine the individual allowances for the members of a single family. Usually, the allowance is increased to $1000 per person before the holidays so that Christmas presents can be brought in. If your trip is late Nov-early January, you should check to see if there's a seasonal increase this year.

I saved the form from last time so I would know the rules. Yes, solo, so I'm unable to spread the $600. Leaving this weekend, so no chance at the holiday weeks. However, I will probably be returning in December, so I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the input!

Eileen

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 05:30 PM ----------

I'm one of those sticklers for rules. Maybe that's because before my dad was a military judge he was a military prosecutor.

That said, I really think the risk of arrest is right around zero. If you get caught, they charge you the import duty and send you on your way as long as what you're bringing in is legal. What they're really looking for is people bringing in things to re-sell. Examples would be dozens of the same video game or other consumer goods that are available in Mexico but much more expensive. They're far less interested in things not available there. They're also less interested in used goods, hence your friend's recommendation to remove things from boxes.

I brought in 3 routers, a number of cordless phones, and multiple expensive Nest thermostats. The total value was far in excess of $600. The customs officer searched the bag in which all these items were packed, asked "do you have a house here?" and sent me on my way when I said I did. Your experience may differ.

Are you comfortable mentioning what you're bringing?

Sure. I'm bringing two sets of Bose speakers for a new boat. If I could distribute them among luggage, I would be less concerned. Since I worried more about theft, I have all four in a carry on. Makes it kind of tough to hide them. Plus, they're pretty big. My carry-on is just about full with the four speakers.

Thanks for not making me feel like my moral compass was off!

Eileen

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 05:33 PM ----------

I did recieve a minor correction to my info. You might have issues if you have alot of the same item so it is clearly items to be sold. I guess worst case you would pay 14% on the value of them?

I hear CZM is a little more 'difficult' in the customs department.

Just to clarify, the tax is 16%. Could be a typo, but just wanted to be accurate.

Sigh ... guess that just proves I can't sneak the speakers in. :wink:

Eileen

Back
Top Bottom