anyone ever voluntarily paid the 16% duty tax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring in tee shirts usually 50 or so every time I visit Cozumel and have never had a problem.I tell the custom agents that they are a gift for the guys at the dive shop and they say no problem.

50 tee-shirts!!!

You dive with Aqua Safari or Dive Paradise or something?

What is it about Cozumel that makes people worry about such insignificant (compared the the total cost of the trip) amounts? I've never been there but all I see is threads about how to save a few bucks on meals, taxis, hotels and now import duties. Call it a contribution the local economy & move on IMO. Sheesh

Hmm, your profile says location Pennsylvania/not in Coz...

Have I been to Cozumel, no. I have been to the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, South America and India though.

Most of these threads seem to be started and perpetuated by people living in the US, who are travelling to Cozumel on holiday. That's my point, if you can afford the trip then... as Cartman would say "What's the big effin' deal...?" Not to pick on the OP or this thread in particular, but it's a trend

Your observations are correct, Mexico is primarily a 'bargain' destination for a lot of US tourists, it's safe to venture that a large majority of vacationers going to Mexico are doing it on a budget. When you combine scuba divers who are notoriously shall we say 'frugal'? and Mexico, you've certainly got a budget sensitive group on your hands. Mexico has pretty much always marketed itself to Americans for two things, being affordable and closeby.

I dive with Opal's Dream but own an embroidery and screen printing business so give shirts to the shop and their family and friends. I also do shirts for Gabi the divemaster who was in the accident a few years ago and help support Freedom Divers.

I dive with Opal's Dream but own an embroidery and screen printing business so give shirts to the shop and their family and friends. I also do shirts for Gabi the divemaster who was in the accident a few years ago and help support Freedom Divers.

Oh yea, I heard about Gabi's t-shirt business. That is very cool you help out.

Gabi makes the tee's for the dive shop and get's the profits.He and Chris Wright and some other individuals are also working with Freedom Divers to get a chapter going in Cozumel.

very awesome

perhaps if you sidestep the duty when travelling, search out cheap meals and accommodations, you too could have a boat like that :)

Yeah maybe... in 50 years from now :) Since boats are "holes in the water you pour money into" I figure they are like Ferraris - if you have to ask how much they cost...

Anyway, I am just commenting on the way Cozumel specifically seems to attract threads about saving what are generally relatively insignificant amounts of money. Everyone has their dive addiction, mine is the Philippines. I was recently 'criticized' by a friend who lives there for buying a guitar off a street vendor and not haggling enough. It's not that I don't value my own money, but I got a guitar, he got to feed his family, everybody's happy. Seems to me it's more of a 'tourist doesn't want to feel like he's being taken advantage of' scenario (for the Cozumites) maybe. I say live and let live, even someone getting minimum wage in the US is a lot better off than the average >insert third world country here< native.

CVChief, you shouldn't leave Vietnam off your list - sure the diving there is not so hot but it's a beautiful country

Yeah maybe... in 50 years from now :) Since boats are "holes in the water you pour money into" I figure they are like Ferraris - if you have to ask how much they cost...

Anyway, I am just commenting on the way Cozumel specifically seems to attract threads about saving what are generally relatively insignificant amounts of money. Everyone has their dive addiction, mine is the Philippines. I was recently 'criticized' by a friend who lives there for buying a guitar off a street vendor and not haggling enough. It's not that I don't value my own money, but I got a guitar, he got to feed his family, everybody's happy. Seems to me it's more of a 'tourist doesn't want to feel like he's being taken advantage of' scenario (for the Cozumites) maybe. I say live and let live, even someone getting minimum wage in the US is a lot better off than the average >insert third world country here< native.

CVChief, you shouldn't leave Vietnam off your list - sure the diving there is not so hot but it's a beautiful country

About that guitar, you are saying you haggled though? So you do in fact subscribe to the maxim of trying to get a better deal and strike a fair price?

It sort of reminds of the oft told story of the man in conversation with the attractive socialite. He asks her if she would become his lover for a million dollars. She say of course she would. So the man says would you do it for five dollars? The woman recoils in horror and ask, "What kind of woman do you think I am?" To which he replies, "We have established what kind of woman you are, now we are haggling over price."

I think it is a little much to pop in here and suggest that Cozaholics area bunch of tight wads abusing locals and then tell us you wouldn't pay what a street vendor asked but because your friend said you paid too much you are a better person. That is is going deep in the weeds.

Do you think you were going to talk that street vendor in to selling that guitar at a loss? Maybe that guy had a big family and your little bit of haggling cost his youngest, Tiny Tim, a second helping of gruel?

Back
Top Bottom