anyone ever voluntarily paid the 16% duty tax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm nervously bringing ~$600 worth of merchandise into Cozumel. My friend said to just take it out of the boxes and not say a word, but I am a bit afraid of spending my vacation (and more!) in a Mexican prison without him. :)

Any sage words of advice? The tax is about $42, and I think my conscience would be happier. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Eileen

Well, I would probably pay it. On a trip last year we muled in some E cigs for a friend on the island. We spread them around so no on had too many. My sister in law got pulled. (hehe) It wasn't the value, but I think tried to figure how many regular cigarettes equaled one e cig and charged her at the rate for the equivalent regular cigs. They just made her pay the duty.

I can't say I ever voluntarily pay any tax, but I do reluctantly.
If they check you, you pay it. I doubt they'll lock you up, they'll just make you pay the tax. The money is all they are interested in.

Many travelers enter having no idea what's taxable and most probably go through unnoticed, not paying a dime. But some do get checked and are simply asked to pay tax on the value.

Well, I would probably pay it. On a trip last year we muled in some E cigs for a friend on the island. We spread them around so no on had too many. My sister in law got pulled. (hehe) It wasn't the value, but I think tried to figure how many regular cigarettes equaled one e cig and charged her at the rate for the equivalent regular cigs. They just made her pay the duty.

I can bring the receipt so there won't be any question. I was all set to claim the stuff and pay it, but people are laughing at me being so honest, such a rule follower. But it's going to be pretty obvious since it's about a full carry on's worth of stuff. LOL

Thanks for the 2 cents.

I see your December 6th departure date. Will you be participating in any of the Scuba Fest?

Eileen

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

I can't say I ever voluntarily pay any tax, but I do reluctantly.
If they check you, you pay it. I doubt they'll lock you up, they'll just make you pay the tax. The money is all they are interested in.

Many travelers enter having no idea what's taxable and most probably go through unnoticed, not paying a dime. But some do get checked and are simply asked to pay tax on the value.

It's pretty clear on the customs form: anything over $300. I'll probably cave and just pay it. Sigh... Catholic school guilt.

Thanks!

Eileen

I can bring the receipt so there won't be any question. I was all set to claim the stuff and pay it, but people are laughing at me being so honest, such a rule follower. But it's going to be pretty obvious since it's about a full carry on's worth of stuff. LOL

Thanks for the 2 cents.

I see your December 6th departure date. Will you be participating in any of the Scuba Fest?

Eileen

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

It's pretty clear on the customs form: anything over $300. I'll probably cave and just pay it. Sigh... Catholic school guilt.

Thanks!

Eileen

First off, just for clarity, I did not think we were dodging the duty. I have often heard that it can be a crap shoot on how they might value stuff so I would try to make a legal amount of stuff less interesting. I would also be inclined to declare and pay too if I had extra.

As for scubafest, no real plans at this point, but I am not against checking it out.

Are you traveling solo? The franchise is $300 per person and you can combine the individual allowances for the members of a single family. Usually, the allowance is increased to $1000 per person before the holidays so that Christmas presents can be brought in. If your trip is late Nov-early January, you should check to see if there's a seasonal increase this year.

I'm one of those sticklers for rules. Maybe that's because before my dad was a military judge he was a military prosecutor.

That said, I really think the risk of arrest is right around zero. If you get caught, they charge you the import duty and send you on your way as long as what you're bringing in is legal. What they're really looking for is people bringing in things to re-sell. Examples would be dozens of the same video game or other consumer goods that are available in Mexico but much more expensive. They're far less interested in things not available there. They're also less interested in used goods, hence your friend's recommendation to remove things from boxes.

I brought in 3 routers, a number of cordless phones, and multiple expensive Nest thermostats. The total value was far in excess of $600. The customs officer searched the bag in which all these items were packed, asked "do you have a house here?" and sent me on my way when I said I did. Your experience may differ.

Are you comfortable mentioning what you're bringing?

I think having a happy conscience is worth $42. I would suggest declaring and paying.

What is it about Cozumel that makes people worry about such insignificant (compared the the total cost of the trip) amounts? I've never been there but all I see is threads about how to save a few bucks on meals, taxis, hotels and now import duties. Call it a contribution the local economy & move on IMO. Sheesh

What is it about Cozumel that makes people worry about such insignificant (compared the the total cost of the trip) amounts? I've never been there but all I see is threads about how to save a few bucks on meals, taxis, hotels and now import duties. Call it a contribution the local economy & move on IMO. Sheesh

Ah, I dream of being rich enough to not care about prices or negotiate in an economy based on negotiation. Te salute, Don Corleone. Doens't work for me, Not with this Mexican thing that's been going on for 2000 years --

Oh, but you have never been here.

Back
Top Bottom