Anyone here sticking with analog gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a small console w/analog SPG & Compass, plus wrist computer with depth. Will add some sort of redundant depth via bottom timer at a later point in time. My thought is that this keeps the console small and manageable.

I did sweat over not having an analog depth gauge when I bought this config (you can find my earlier posts and replies if you are really interested). Enough people use this config (including the instructors at my LDS), that I was convinced to go this route.

...steve...

I am a mechanical engineer that got into diving a couple of years ago and was faced with the the choice to go with the analog pressue gauge or an integrated computer.

I chose the non air integrated computer.

My opinion was this:

Pressure gauges have been around for a long time. That doesn't mean they are not subject to failure, but does mean that is a fairly proven technology that has been in use for a while.

My dive computer has been extremely reliable and I haven't had any issues. But the more complicated it is, the more likely there will be a failure and I think that you can defineltly fit air integrated computers in that category. And unless I purchased a back-up computyer, it just felt like and integrated computer was putting all my eggs in one basket. I didn't consider that to be an option when I entered the sport just because of pure economics.

Also, if I was to have a dive computer, I had rather attempt a controled ascent knowing just how much air I have.

Just my opinion for what ever it is worth.

Oscar

But when push comes to shove ???

I prefer analog. You can see things as they start going bad, in most cases.

Computers are like the idiot lights in cars nowadays. When it comes on, it's already too late.

the K

Am diving with a computer, and my console has tank pressure / depth gauges and a compas.

Houston_Diver:
I was PADI certified 4 years ago, but I am now just catching up and getting back into the recreational diving realm.
I'm wondering about the reliability of integrated computers. I know that there are users that swear by their integrated computers, but are there divers that stick with analog gauges, even if they could afford to go to integrated dive computers? Price is one issue. The other is dive safety, I don't want to dive with "tempermental" gear.
Thanks for any input,
-Bill in Houston
I had the money, so I splurged on wireless AI. Necessary? No. Nice? You bet!

I use an analog SPG as a backup, and to keep in practice for tech training, should I encounter a situation where the team dictates it is too "risky" to have the transmitter on my 1st stage. Meanwhile, if the wireless ever fails, my computer still works fine, and I have the analog SPG for gas pressure.

If my computer ever dies, I'm in the same situation as everyone else. (although I have a watch with depth function as a backup, so perhaps not)

Ideally, I'd try to get those gauges on my wrists as well. (Except for the analog SPG.) Personally, I like this setup since I don't have to deal with a big console and I can see critical information anytime. In a horizontal position, your wrists are right in front of your eyes.

Personally, I think wireless SPG stuff is acceptable as long as you also have an analog SPG backup. Then you can have your wireless SPG on your wrist, but if it breaks, you can look down to see your analog SPG. But probably not worth
the money...

Another point is that a good diver should keep track of his/her air.
Before you even look at your SPG, you should be able to estimate what the
reading will be. At a given depth and breathing rate an experienced diver
should be able to estimate his/her air consumption and remaining air.

Given this, if you need way more accurate calculations/estimations, then you probably shouldn't be relying on a wireless computer anyway. If your
diving is that technical, then the dive should be carefully planned instead of relying on instant calculations by the computer.

Just my 0.00001 cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom