Anyone here sticking with analog gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was PADI certified 4 years ago, but I am now just catching up and getting back into the recreational diving realm.
I'm wondering about the reliability of integrated computers. I know that there are users that swear by their integrated computers, but are there divers that stick with analog gauges, even if they could afford to go to integrated dive computers? Price is one issue. The other is dive safety, I don't want to dive with "tempermental" gear.
Thanks for any input,
-Bill in Houston

Analog Preasure Guage, Digital for all the rest.
Why, I don't really know.
I suppose I am concerned that a wireless sender is very easy to damage given it's location.
I don't think you can trust a remaining air calculation as the circumstances vary too much for it to be of much use.

I have 2 depth guages, one in my watch and one in my computer.
If I went on a liveaboard I would take 2 computers, one in my pocket as a backup for the next dive if the primary fails.

Analog SPG for me. They are simple and reliable. I wear a computer or usually a bottom timer on my wrist. I don't want to introduce electronics into my information on breathing gas.

I don't know if one would refer to it as "sticking" with an analog gauge, but I always dive with an analog backup SPG for my computer.

the K

I have an analog SPG and an analog depth guage. I wear a non air integrated computer on my wrist. I do not like the concept of air integrated computers.

I have a small spg & depth gauge and a non-air integrated computer. Safest and most reliable setup in my opinion :)

What are the benefits of AI? One less hose. But then, in case it fails, you should always have a backup SPG. So you don't actually lose the hose.

Therefore, if I were you, I'd go with an SPG, non AI computer, and donate the difference in cost of AI to non AI to an orphanage in China or someplace else that actually needs the money :)

I dive with an analog pressure gauge, simple and reliable. But I do love the digital depth readout on my computer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom