Anyone know how to reach David Swain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u might find this amusing lobsta i was divin at Wetherill one day david was there with a female staudent and turned to her when i was gettin in the water and said i dont understand how people can dive by themselves its so dangerous and i agree its not the best decission but i feel safer diving by myself then with him haha

that's funny because I was a student of his and I asked him about diving alone and he said it was of course a risk, but was not against it and gave a good amount of reasons to dive solo.

Well Justwander, a solo diver did die in the coves a couple years back right near some fishermen on the shore. He couldnt stay bouyant. Daves comment may have been just after or near the time that that happened. It had us all questioning the safety of solo diving as I like to wander around the coves on my own occasionally especially when the tropicals come in.

That diving death had a big inpact on the thought process of the local dive community in Jamestown at the time in regards to solo diving.

sadies
i worked for dave for a few years then i moved. I just moved back. Any word on if it will open back up through his Son? I am not going to get into guilty or not thing, not for me to figure out. But i need a local dive shop, and that was my place to go.
The shop is closed and all of the inventory has been moved out. There are no plans to
re-open.

He was found guilty in a civil trial last year by jury.

He is now awaiting the criminal trial.

I don't see what is slanderous about that.

Civil trials don't determine guilt or innocence. They determine whether the jury thought there was a "preponderance of evidence" to determine liability. One can only be found "guilty" of a crime by a criminal trial. He has not yet had that, and therefore has never been found guilty. And the standard of proof is significantly higher for a criminal trial than it is for a civil trial.

Calling someone guilty of a crime in print - especially a publication intended for distribution - is libelous. Undercurrent should've used the term "alleged" - since he is only at this point alleged to have committed the crime - NOT been found guilty of it.

To my knowledge, there is no plan to reopen OSS.

Well Justwander, a solo diver did die in the coves a couple years back right near some fishermen on the shore. He couldnt stay bouyant. Daves comment may have been just after or near the time that that happened. It had us all questioning the safety of solo diving as I like to wander around the coves on my own occasionally especially when the tropicals come in.

That diving death had a big inpact on the thought process of the local dive community in Jamestown at the time in regards to solo diving.

Really? Geez- thanks for the background info ScubaSarus- that is very sad.

Where will people go instead of OSS? I found the owner of the shop in Newport to be a bit rude when I was in there twice and I would rather not head back in there.

Where will people go instead of OSS?

I think I am going with Giant Stride in Warwick. The owner, Red, is friendly, knows what he is talking about and he seems to be in it because he just loves the sport. He's also got a really nice retail setup. I haven't done much business with him yet, but so far all my experiences there are positive.

I think I am going with Giant Stride in Warwick. The owner, Red, is friendly, knows what he is talking about and he seems to be in it because he just loves the sport. He's also got a really nice retail setup. I haven't done much business with him yet, but so far all my experiences there are positive.

Ditto that. And he now has Aqualung/Apex.:wink:

Ditto that. And he now has Aqualung/Apex.:wink:
Obviously with OSS closed I too had to find a new shop. Based on other's input I had all my reg's serviced at Giant Stride this year. It's a great shop. The annual overhaul was a little higher than what I have spent in the past, but the job was also more thorough than any other service I have experienced before(and that is a good thing when you depend on a mechanical device to keep you alive). I was impressed with the setup.

the shop was liquidated and he lost the civil suit and there is a lot of back taxes u still have newport diving center

Back
Top Bottom