Anyone not eat fish for environmental reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was watcing CNN earlier and I saw a report on how the fish populations are being depleted from over fishing, and it had me wondering if I should stop eating fish...

I have stopped eating all other meats except for seafood (not for environmental reasons, just dont like what it could do to my body) for about 15 months now.

So, yea anyone else no eat seafood for that reason? Or am I just wasting my time and looking like a "hippy tree hugger" ?

I don't eat Chilean Sea Bass or Napolean Wrasse.

I have a list of fish that are the most threatened...I try to be conscious of what I am eating.

I do not ever eat farm raised salmon because Andrew Weil has convinced me.

I am backing off shrimp.

Opah is my favorite so I need to find out more about it. I know it is a very deep water fish. I don't know how it is caught and what the implications are.

I don't eat grouper, marlin, or shark.

Ahi is another favorite...I have not heard any reason why I should not eat ahi. I like snapper and thought it was one of the more acceptable ones to eat.

I, too, am selective in what I eat and I try to make informed choices.

Monterey Bay Aquarium has a listing on the web site that helps you choose "better" selections from environmental standpoints.

I would never order fish in a restaurant.

I don't eat our local shrimp/prawns despite living in one of the biggest prawning areas in Australia because I do not like their methods and I have seen (and continue to see) the complete and total devastation that the trawlers do to the bottom of the Gulf. Shame, as I love prawns :wink: I encourage others to do the same, but don't force them.

I stopped eating certain fish species 30 years ago. When I was a kid and saw the deleterious effects of mercury and such I decided to back off certain species. If anyone is truly serious about backing off seafood like Catherine please peruse this site to know what's OK and what's not!

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Cheers,

X

hm....i think I decided I am gonna try it. But if I dont eat any meat now and HATE salad, what am I supposed to eat!! :11: :11:

Mr.X:
I stopped eating certain fish species 30 years ago. When I was a kid and saw the deleterious effects of mercury and such I decided to back off certain species. If anyone is truly serious about backing off seafood like Catherine please peruse this site to know what's OK and what's not!

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Cheers,

X

Tiny hijack: did you know that the flu shot has mercury in it? I asked the nurse and she verified it. They ask if you are allergic to something-or-other (can't remember the name) and she said it's the scientific name for mercury.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program . . . .

It,s definitely a challenge.

For a year now I've tried not to eat anything with a mother or a face. No weight problem here, just eliminate 3/4 of the food you can eat.

Basically I started this for better health, longer life and more diving.

P.S. Not for the faint of heart.

sea nmf:
Tiny hijack: did you know that the flu shot has mercury in it? I asked the nurse and she verified it. They ask if you are allergic to something-or-other (can't remember the name) and she said it's the scientific name for mercury.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program . . . .

Tincture of thimersol? Bad stuff, but not half as bad as eating swordfish or Japanese caught dolphin.

X

p.s. as for food I am having my whole wheat Subway sandwich with veggie pattie right now. I also like Boca and Garden burgers. On occasion I eat wild caught salmon, Maine mussels, dungeness crab and some shrimp. That's not too bad. Sometimes I munch on chicken.

If you are going to avoid eating seafood for environmental reasons, then you should definitely avoid eating shrimp. Shrimp is caught by dragging a very large weighted net over the bottom of the ocean. The net kills sea turtles and also a huge amount of unwanted "by-catch" which is composed of unused species and also millions of juvenile fishes. I love shrimp, but they are probably the worst thing to eat from that standpoint.

Farm raised (aquacultured) shrimp also have problems with estuarine habitat destruction and also water pollution, although I'm not sure this is as wasteful of our marine resources as buying them from the draggers.

dumpsterDiver:
If you are going to avoid eating seafood for environmental reasons, then you should definitely avoid eating shrimp. Shrimp is caught by dragging a very large weighted net over the bottom of the ocean. The net kills sea turtles and also a huge amount of unwanted "by-catch" which is composed of unused species and also millions of juvenile fishes. I love shrimp, but they are probably the worst thing to eat from that standpoint.

Farm raised (aquacultured) shrimp also have problems with estuarine habitat destruction and also water pollution, although I'm not sure this is as wasteful of our marine resources as buying them from the draggers.

Come on'. I ante'd up. I eat only the smallest amount of farm raised shrimp and certainly not the stuff that Forest Gump hauled in. Tell us what you've given up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom