Anyone not eat fish for environmental reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides, nothing wrong with soy, peanut butter and rice and beans.

Excuse me while I go eat my veggie Burger King.

watch out for trans fats (hydrogenated oils) in that peanut butter, Charlie.

So...why tuna steaks worse than canned tuna? any theories?

they say canned salmon is wild usually...

Catfish are surprising...aren't they scavengers?

I stopped eating meat and fish about 24 years ago and still going strong. Factory farming, cruel slaughtering, horrendous fishing methods (dynamite fishing is still a big issue here in South East Asia), even pumping the farm raised shrimps full of antibiotics... These are just a few issues I have with eating fish and meat.
Here in Thailand you sometimes see fishing boats in the National Parks fishing illegally and the authorities turn a blind eye. Sometimes you even have to cut a net loose which is stuck on the reef or remove some illegal fish traps on your dive.
However even seeing this it doesn't usually stop the average person/diver from digging into their seafood while on land or on the liveabaord.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
I agree that animals should not be tortured for our entertainment value, culinary or otherwise. I am not against vegetarian diets --- my wife, daughters and my older sister are vegetarians because that's the food they prefer, not for any sociopolitical reason. (Actually, my wife did a pathology residency and, after doing a few dozen autopsies, decided to quit eating meat:shakehead ). My only point was that being vegetarian because you like the food, or don't like meat, or have a pathologic cholesterol problem, is sensible. Being vegetarian as a political statement, or under the assumption that it is generally healthier or morally superior than eating meat or fish occasionally, is another matter. Admit it, we've all seen vegetarianism and veganism used as badges of cultural enlightenment. And that's what bugs me.

That bugs me, too. I'm a travelling nurse. If my coworkers even find out I'm a vegetarian, it's usually not for several weeks, and only happens when everyone decides to order out.

Here is a snippet from the SASSI pocket guide, to give you an idea of how the information is presented. The green items can be ordered/purchased, the orange items should be reconsidered if possible (we treat them as red items) and the red items are no-go.

SASSI.png

It is handy as it folds up to the size of a credit card. Direct download, but I recommend that you visit the site and read their other guide too.

Cheers,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom