Anyone not eat fish for environmental reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only eat meat of any kind a couple of times a week, mostly for environmental reasons. Almost any kind of fish can be problematic for these reasons. Farm raised fish can be more problematic because a lot of farm raised fish are fed on other fish, more fish mass than you end up consuming.

But, in my case, moderation is the key. I will, once every year or two, have swordfish or shrimp. I like it, it's good, and I don't feel especially bad about it.

Weirdly enough I've been on a fish kick lately. For about 2wks I've my typical daily meal plan consisted of Smoked Salmon on a bagel for breakfast, canned Tuna on a sandwich or wrap for lunch and some type of broiled or baked fish for dinner with a salad. My only concern seemed to be about mercury content and not so much the enviorment. I seem to be motivated more by what will keep me out of the cardiac unit then these other issues. I figure every year that I'm alive and purchasing sporting licenses,permits,dive medallions and donate to enviormental organizations makes up for what little I take. I've made a concious choice at some point to eat more farmed seafood but have been concerned about the health issues raised lately. I remember as a youngster while fishing with my dad hoping that the marine life is as abundant when I have kids of my own so I can share the experience with them, and I now do and hope that it is around so that they can do the same. I have seen the progress that local conservationists have made by managing fish stocks and putting moratoriums on the sale and posession of different species. This is what needs to be done IMHO

dhampton82:
hm....i think I decided I am gonna try it. But if I dont eat any meat now and HATE salad, what am I supposed to eat!! :11: :11:

I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years. As to what you can eat, here are a few ideas:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=118819

shakeybrainsurgeon:
Thus, eat vegetarian if you want, but it is neither "natural" nor "liberal", but rather unnatural and elitist.

I completely disagree...well almost. It's not liberal, but it's not elitist either. It's simply a choice. As for natural v. unnatural, research how long it takes to digest a pound of beef v. a pound of vegetation. How much waste do you get from eating a pound of beef v. a pound of vegation? Then think about what's natural and unnatural. :wink:

Dive-aholic:
I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years. As to what you can eat, here are a few ideas:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=118819

I completely disagree...well almost. It's not liberal, but it's not elitist either. It's simply a choice. As for natural v. unnatural, research how long it takes to digest a pound of beef v. a pound of vegetation. How much waste do you get from eating a pound of beef v. a pound of vegation? Then think about what's natural and unnatural. :wink:

You don't "digest" vegetation, or at least not much of it. The bulk of vegetation is cellulose, which ruminants like cows can digest into its component sugars because they have the enzymes to do so; we don't. So it ends up, for us, as indigestible "fiber" and fodder for intestinal bacteria (which produce gases like methane from it).

No doubt we need the fiber and nutrients in vegetables, although there is some controversy about fiber recently (it may not reduce risk of intestinal disease and cancer as was once thought). In general, however, they lack certain amino acids, animal fats and caloric density needed to sustain humans unless they eat a bulk and diversity of plant life generally unavailable to the average global citizen. That's why I call it elitist --- Marie Antoinette might say "let them eat tofu" --- because only wealthy, advanced nations can take the time, effort and cash to craft a healthy, balanced, diverse, flavorful and year-round available meatless diet. Many nations subsist on rice and beans, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If eating vegetation was our predominant food source in "nature", why can't we digest cellulose for its caloric value like other vegetarian mammals? Why are our teeth made only for eating only the relatively soft domesticated grains and vegetables?

Purchase your sea food from a local fish house vs. the super market. You'll get fresh local fish that isn't long line caught.

Fishes I don't eat anymore - shark - the mercury levels are to high ; shellfish - red tides have me spooked of eating shell fish any time post a red tide a few weeks.. little arsenic tabs!

dhampton82:
I was watcing CNN earlier and I saw a report on how the fish populations are being depleted from over fishing, and it had me wondering if I should stop eating fish...

I have stopped eating all other meats except for seafood (not for environmental reasons, just dont like what it could do to my body) for about 15 months now.

So, yea anyone else no eat seafood for that reason? Or am I just wasting my time and looking like a "hippy tree hugger" ?

shakeybrainsurgeon:
You don't "digest" vegetation, or at least not much of it. The bulk of vegetation is cellulose, which ruminants like cows can digest into its component sugars because they have the enzymes to do so; we don't. So it ends up, for us, as indigestible "fiber" and fodder for intestinal bacteria (which produce gases like methane from it).

Correct. I used the term vegetation as a catch all for anything grown, fruit included.

No doubt we need the fiber and nutrients in vegetables, although there is some controversy about fiber recently (it may not reduce risk of intestinal disease and cancer as was once thought). In general, however, they lack certain amino acids, animal fats and caloric density needed to sustain humans unless they eat a bulk and diversity of plant life generally unavailable to the average global citizen. That's why I call it elitist --- Marie Antoinette might say "let them eat tofu" --- because only wealthy, advanced nations can take the time, effort and cash to craft a healthy, balanced, diverse, flavorful and year-round available meatless diet. Many nations subsist on rice and beans, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Okay, I'll give you the elitist thing with it defined that way. :D

If eating vegetation was our predominant food source in "nature", why can't we digest cellulose for its caloric value like other vegetarian mammals? Why are our teeth made only for eating only the relatively soft domesticated grains and vegetables?

I never said it's supposed to be our predominant food source. I have a few different reasons for being vegetarian. One of them is the captivity and treatment of animals used as food sources. Hunt them all you want, but don't raise them in small pens or ponds just to be eaten. :wink:

I keep a copy of the consumer guide issued by the South African Sustainable Seafood Initiative (SASSI) in my wallet. My wife also has a copy. So when we are eating out or shopping for groceries, we refer to the guide and select accordingly. For example, we have decided to drop sole from our food list due to the "eco-unfriendly" fishing methods required to catch them.

The guide can be downloaded from their site. It is really handy to help make informed decisions.

Cheers,

Andrew

No fish caught by a recreational fisher (including spearfishers) may be sold

I wonder what this reasoning is from an environmental standpoint. (from your site)

dhampton82:
hm....i think I decided I am gonna try it. But if I dont eat any meat now and HATE salad, what am I supposed to eat!! :11: :11:
Hi. My kids have been vegans for about 10 years now and they are both healthy, they are not underweight. They decided to do this for reasons not related to health, but are aware of health issues (my daughter is pre-med).
I am not a vegan (Philly cheese steaks are OK with me) and they still tolerate and like me.

This web site http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm has some examples of menus that probably will seem earthy crunchy to most people on this board.

I grew up in Scotland and healthy food was not on anyones radar in my family.. except maybe .. "kippers are good for your brain" kinda thing :)
I don't think I could give up fish 'n chips completely!

Good luck with your choice.

Dive-aholic:
Correct. I used the term vegetation as a catch all for anything grown, fruit included.

Okay, I'll give you the elitist thing with it defined that way. :D

I never said it's supposed to be our predominant food source. I have a few different reasons for being vegetarian. One of them is the captivity and treatment of animals used as food sources. Hunt them all you want, but don't raise them in small pens or ponds just to be eaten. :wink:

I agree that animals should not be tortured for our entertainment value, culinary or otherwise. I am not against vegetarian diets --- my wife, daughters and my older sister are vegetarians because that's the food they prefer, not for any sociopolitical reason. (Actually, my wife did a pathology residency and, after doing a few dozen autopsies, decided to quit eating meat:shakehead ). My only point was that being vegetarian because you like the food, or don't like meat, or have a pathologic cholesterol problem, is sensible. Being vegetarian as a political statement, or under the assumption that it is generally healthier or morally superior than eating meat or fish occasionally, is another matter. Admit it, we've all seen vegetarianism and veganism used as badges of cultural enlightenment. And that's what bugs me.

Back
Top Bottom