Anyone see this product before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank y'all for the conversation, suggestions and discussion about the nuances of vehicle keys and the like.

Now, going back to my original question:
Drewski:
Anyone own/use one previously?
Thanks...

I have a magnetic key holder under my truck. I've had it there for 5 years and nobody has found it. I've driven my truck on all terrains and hasn't moved one bit. The hitch lock looks like a good idea too as well. We think nothing of spending a fortune on dive gear - what is $70 if it gives the diver piece of mind while he is diving?
Yeah string is probably even cheaper than that shoelace.

CatFishBob:
The small Pelican cases are inexpensive but are only water tight to about 15feet. Otter Boxes are roughly the same price as the Pelican boxes, but are water tight to 100feet. The Otter Box 1000 is about the size of a wallet. It is probably too small to actually put a wallet into, but you can put the contents of your wallet in it. The Otter Box 2000 is about twice the size of the 1000. It's probably big enough to hold both a wallet and a wad of keys.
http://www.otterbox.com/
I recently bought an Otter Box 1000 for $9 and an Otter Box 2000 for $14.

I used the Otterbox 1000 on a dive recently, and it failed at 15 feet. It was completely flooded when I got out of the water (held the water in really well though).

I have also had a couple experiences where I have had my electronic car key (the $200 ones) in a water tight box that failed. I just washed off the salt water and (knock on wood) have never had any problems with it. However, I now carry my valet key instead of the electronic one when I dive. Luckily, with my car the valet key operates everything (since it too has a built in chip), it just means I cannot remotely lock and unlock the car.

I have been thinking about this as well since some of the convenience features of my car make key storage annoying. I can't hide my key on the outside of my car because my doors unlock automatically if someone touches the handle and the key is in range. I can't take my valet key and leave the electronic one in the car because my car won't let you lock the electronic key in the car or in the trunk. The only solution that seems to work is leaving the electronic key at home and only bringing the valet key.

I am very interested in a small waterproof box and would probably be willing to spend a little more if I was reasonably certain it wouldn't flood and ruin my $200 key. I have actually considered using a small dive light without batteries for exactly this purpose but something more streamlined would obviously be better...

Drewski:
I came across this product for storing your keys while you are away from your vehicle. I've seen pricing of about $70. Anyone own/use one previously?

THANKS...

What about the magnet box stuck somewhere to the frame of the vehicle thing...I've never used one but have known people that have........

jjdub:
The only solution that seems to work is leaving the electronic key at home and only bringing the valet key.
If you can shield your electronic key sufficiently, you should be able to leave it in the car... try wrapping it into several tight layers of tinfoil as a cheap first test.

MacGyverDiver:
If you can shield your electronic key sufficiently, you should be able to leave it in the car... try wrapping it into several tight layers of tinfoil as a cheap first test.
That is a great idea... I will definitely try that. Thanks.

jjdub:
I have been thinking about this as well since some of the convenience features of my car make key storage annoying. I can't hide my key on the outside of my car because my doors unlock automatically if someone touches the handle and the key is in range.

If you can aford a car with these features then a $100 Pelican case shouldn't be a big deal...

Or I have it Hire a security guard to watch over your key wwhile your underwater.:D

Ziplock bag, or other type of small drybag works for me. That is, if I have to carry the key with the electonic gizmo in it, otherwise the valet key is what I carry.

Seems to me that $70 for this is expensive, especially if you don't already have a trailer hitch on your car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom