Anyone taking bouyancy 1 at ScubaShack, CT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we've only had our 1st lecture and Ed only went through some of the basic stuff (short review of OW). If nothing else we got to listen to Ed get fired up about diving (not hard to do). We have another lecture and hit the pool on Thursday so I'm looking forward to really getting to work on buoyancy skills. Ed did my OW cert and I was impressed from the very beginning. Will wait to see how class progresses but I'm sure it will be well worth while. He is incredible in the water column, and is a good teacher so I know I'll benefit from even just diving with him. Glad to hear you and your wife got a lot from it.

unfortunately i had to drop out of the class. The commute proved to be too much for me. I wish i could have stayed because i feel the class would definitely be worthwhile for me if i could have stayed:(

sorry to hear man. Wow, and then there were 3. Still looking forward to solid learning, and I'm still gonna push Ed to work with me in my drysuit on the last few dives. Take care and let me know if u ever want another buddy for MA or RI dives. I'm still debating Fran's trip.

sorry to hear man. Wow, and then there were 3. Still looking forward to solid learning, and I'm still gonna push Ed to work with me in my drysuit on the last few dives. Take care and let me know if u ever want another buddy for MA or RI dives. I'm still debating Fran's trip.

My suggestion would be to wait until after the class is over and then start your drysuit work. You'll find that if you try to change it in mid class, you'll be struggling to apply your new stuff to the suit and it's another distraction. I thought the same thing when we went through, but I'm glad we didn't push the drysuit issue. I've gotten in the pool since the class with my doubles and drysuit and found it much easier to slowly apply the things learned in B1 on my own to the dry suit. Not to mention that your gear needs to be adjusted all over again more than likely. Finish the class in your wetsuit and then pick up a couple of pool sessions in the drysuit.

Shane

Ok....I just talked to Ed H. As punishment for not knowing what the course is about. I have agreed to the first session on April 9th. I hope to redeem myself with this honorable forum.
We'll be looking forward to your class report. :)

We'll be looking forward to your class report. :)

unfortunately Tampico Ed dropped out of class befor it started, so no class report from him.

My suggestion would be to wait until after the class is over and then start your drysuit work. You'll find that if you try to change it in mid class, you'll be struggling to apply your new stuff to the suit and it's another distraction. I thought the same thing when we went through, but I'm glad we didn't push the drysuit issue. I've gotten in the pool since the class with my doubles and drysuit and found it much easier to slowly apply the things learned in B1 on my own to the dry suit. Not to mention that your gear needs to be adjusted all over again more than likely. Finish the class in your wetsuit and then pick up a couple of pool sessions in the drysuit.
thanks for the advice. Ed H was pretty adament about only doing the class in a wetsuit so I guess I won't push it. Like you said I can jump in a pool after class, or for another $40 Ed has to do OW dives (technically for a card) so maybe I'll just have him spend some additional time w/ me in my drysuit at the quarry or somewhere else. I'm pretty comfortable in it but any help is useful.

BGF, i'll agree...i've dove a drysuit for a while know, and known Ed for longer then I've dove dry...and he still wanted me in a wetsuit.

unfortunately Tampico Ed dropped out of class befor it started, so no class report from him.

Just so people don't think he chickened out, the reason Ed dropped out was work related.

Ed H was pretty adament about only doing the class in a wetsuit so I guess I won't push it.

What is his reason for that?

So that everyone has the same gear configuration. It's easier to teach that way. But it also prevents overloading when you're learning new skills. The skills you'll be doing will present enough of a challenge without the additional task of managing the drysuit. Work on what you learn in the wetsuit until you're comfortable with it, then add the drysuit. Otherwise it's like having too much new gear on one dive and you'll miss little things that are important. It's a sound philosophy. Not to mention that he's been teaching the class and refining it for quite some time...so he's tried all kinds of different things and this is what's worked best so far.

Shane

Back
Top Bottom