Anyone tried carrying drysuit as aircraft carry on baggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I keep seeing people who carry their business suits in these huge flat cover bags as carry on. I thought to myself my trilam drysuit bag is somewhat similar in size, maybe a bit thicker.

I was wondering if anyone attempted to bring their drysuit as carry on in a flight and what are your experiences? Don't really feel comfortable having the drysuit in checked bags no matter how much padding I put around it....

Thanks in advance.

I've brought my drysuit in checked baggage (with lots of clothing around) several times with no problem.

I have flown with drysuits hundreds of times... Checked and once as cabin luggage. Why the question. What do you think is going to happen?

I have flown with drysuits hundreds of times... Checked and once as cabin luggage. Why the question. What do you think is going to happen?

Thanks everyone for the input. I am constantly afraid that other bags will get stacked on top of mine leading to zip damage. You know when you first got the suit everyone tells you how you need to look after the zip etc etc... so I have a constant fear of damaging the zip.

Doppler - So no flight related damage to your suit after hundreds of flights with it?

I suppose it's just a matter of padding the suit with your undergarment and other items of clothing to soften the pressure on it when checking the drysuit?

Thanks everyone for the input. I am constantly afraid that other bags will get stacked on top of mine leading to zip damage. You know when you first got the suit everyone tells you how you need to look after the zip etc etc... so I have a constant fear of damaging the zip.

Doppler - So no flight related damage to your suit after hundreds of flights with it?

I suppose it's just a matter of padding the suit with your undergarment and other items of clothing to soften the pressure on it when checking the drysuit?

I honestly wrap all my other stuff in my drysuit and toss it all in a duffle bag. My dive gear has more frequent flier miles than most people. Never had an incident (knock on wood)

Try "gate-checking" the bag with the drysuit. Much less handling + you know where it is.

This is one of my fears of buying a dry suit. If one has to SO careful of not damaging/ripping the zips and the cuffs just by packing it, what do you do when you don it to dive? Geeez!

If you're worried about zipper damage then you could try what I do. I pack with zipper closed and I make sure that where the arms fold over the suit there is something inside the curve to guarantee the minimum curvature - rolled up t-shirts or dive boots. So even if my case is at the bottom of the pile there is no danger of the zipper being bent sharply upon itself and breaking or kinking.

Doppler - So no flight related damage to your suit after hundreds of flights?

None. Packed in a dive bag with zip open and the undies rolled up inside. The zip is not so fragile that a little baggage handling will break it... Mind you, my suits tend to be good quality.

Back
Top Bottom