Anyone use a Beanie instead of a hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've lost a beanie and my second one also kept coming off. I've gone to the neoprene do-rag. mine has some kind of bumps on the forehead edge thst helps keep it in place. also poked a couple of small holes in the piece thst lays over the top of my head. have had no further problems with it floating up a bit.

What's the name of this product? As I said, my Scuba Do Rag tends to slip off. I'd like to try a neoprene do-rag.

All our diving is in warm water now, the Pacific Northwest dry suits with heavy duty hoods have been retired. My wife got an Akona beanie with chin strap, not for warmth but to keep her long hair in control. Before the beanie she tried everything from braiding it, to clips, to bands etc. etc. With the beanie she just braids it or puts it in a pony tail, beanie over top with a chin strap to hold it on and presto, no problems.

Hope it works out for you!

I got a hood when I first started diving on the advice of my instructor - I have a Frankenstein sized/configured head, and we had to make a lot of cuts to get it to fit right - even then it would always end up with air in the top and pull on my mask, cause buoyancy issues, etc. I switched to a beanie and love it when I need to wear something for colder water - but I never dive in less than 65 degree water and don't use the beanie unless the water is under 72 degrees.

Beanies rock but aren't the San e as a hood when the depth n water get cold! But on moderate temp dives they do serve a good purpose n keep you comfortable!

Has anyone used a beanie instead of a hood as I really hate hoods and was looking around and saw some beanies ranging from 1mm to 6/7mm, do they work well or not used for diving. pros cons, thanks.

I use a beanie in warmer water, but it is not enough in cold water.

Why do you hate hoods? For me, it was because they put pressure on my neck and it made me feel like I was being strangled. However, I found that a wetsuit with an attached hood didn't do that. I use the Aqua Lung SolAfx, but Henderson makes a semi-dry and ONeill makes a 7mm. Maybe you can give them a try?

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom