Anyone using an integrated weight system with a BP & wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plenty of people will gladly trade hard for soft weight. Second, the rubber weight belts don't kink. Third, it's kind of odd to be giving weight belt advice and never have used one.

Errr..when did I give weight belt advice?

Also, they may not "kink" but they may ride on the hips differently when threaded through weights as opposed to having pockets on the outside of it.

I'm sorry, I got your handle mixed up. My bad.

Sorry for the derail. Back on topic: I'm not aware of any weight pockets that work on the Mako belt or any "thinner" rubber belts. Part of what makes the rubber belts so nice is their thickness. They're more durable and less likely to deform from heavy weights if they're thicker.

I really like the DUI weight harness someone mentioned earlier. It's very comfortable, easy to put on, and has ditch handles. I tried weight on my rig before, and did not like it at all.

Couldn't see what the problem was. With heavy gloves on I could not do it anyway (we tried, could not do it even on land).

absolutely the correct response! Get the BC inflated (orally) and THEN (once you are nice and safe and relaxed on the surface) you can mess around with trying to re-connect a BC inflator hose. Your earlier comment about the necessity of being able to ditch lead, was also spot on.. You are learning... (finally):D

These?
XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

Do you mount them upside-down for easy ditching? If so, I am concerned that only a 2" x 2" velcro strap prevents them from opening. If I mount them right-side-up, then it's not so easy to ditch the weights in an emergency.

- Bill

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 10:00 AM ----------

Those look like the pockets(WB101), but I just put one on each side of the BP waist strap, not a separate belt. I mount them right side up--all you have to do is pop the weight up from the bottom.

(The WB101QR are designed to mount upside down and will let the weight drop out when you pull the tab, but they're a little more bulky and I don't see the need.)

I'm sorry, I got your handle mixed up. My bad.

Sorry for the derail. Back on topic: I'm not aware of any weight pockets that work on the Mako belt or any "thinner" rubber belts. Part of what makes the rubber belts so nice is their thickness. They're more durable and less likely to deform from heavy weights if they're thicker.

Last week I put two of those XS Scuba pockets mentioned above on a Beuchat Marseillaise rubber weight belt. I just pulled the belt through with a piece of cave line threaded through the holes in the belt. No problems and the pockets stay exactly where I want them to be :D

I really like these: http://shop.scubatude.com/BC-Harness-Weight-Pocket-ISTWEIPOC8.htm
I use them on my rental and training rigs. They are made for bp/w. They have three belt loops. Two for the waist belt and one the shoulder strap goes through to hold it tight to the backplate. Top load with bottom dump.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I like these but they have only a large velcro pad to keep them closed. I experimented with mounting them upside down for easy release in an emergency, but I am not satisfied with the security. Mounting them rightside up will mean no quick release.

- Bill

We must be looking at different pockets. I have two of the WB101QR and when mounted 'right side up' (the logo on the pocket is not upside down), opening the pocket would cause the weights to drop out. I'm happy with the security of the pocket and yes I can release them with dry gloves (technically semi-dry XS 'Dry five' gloves)

XS Scuba and the Pro Blue pockets that I carry will work on the rubber belts. Where there was a small issue was them sliding on my GF's. So what I did was water jet some custom slides out of 1/4 inch black nylon and then some out of 1/8 inch Lexan. Both work very well. I had to do custom slides because standard tri-glides will not work due to the belt thickness. But I made these a little oversize and they work great without damaging or compromising the belt itself. They worked so well I'm going to cut some more here shortly as I now have one of the MAKO belts and I like using pockets for weights.

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 04:25 PM ----------

So, you could breathe but not inflate? Why not just calmly reconnect the inflator hose?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 02:25 PM ----------

Plenty of people will gladly trade hard for soft weight. Second, the rubber weight belts don't kink. Third, it's kind of odd to be giving weight belt advice and never have used one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

The other reason to use pockets is one that my GF has. She is very lean, threading hard weights on a belt causes pain on her hips from the weights pressing on the bone in a drysuit. And for me it's because the weights are so easily adjusted. Don't even need to take the belt off. The pocket belts I do not recommend are the ones with a single zipper that goes over all of them. Can't stand those.
Pockets on a belt also make adjusting students weights quick and easy. Nice when your student says they feel a little heavy in pool session three. Just have them surface and swap out a 5 for a 3 or 4 for a 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom