Anyone using the Nitek Duo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my Nitek Duo except for 2 things:

1. The PPO2 is fixed at 1.4 on the first gas before the alarms sounds. I'd like to set it to 1.5 but I can't. Sometimes it gets a little anoying if you only go a foot or two below the "conservative" depth when diving nitrox and the alarm keeps beeping.

I really do like how it shows your current PPO2 as your depth changes though.

2. It only logs your profile over time. When you download the information you don't get the ongoing temperature, no-deco time, ascent rate, tissue loading, etc that you will with some other computers.

The battery is user replacable, just unscrew the batter compartment with a coin and you're all set.

Thanks. Well, sounds like I am going to purchase an IQ-700 for the two year warranty. Now, wonder if Scubatoys can get it to me before I fly out to Bonaire Saturday morning?? They're in Texas, I'm on the East coast. Should be possible. Got to call them as soon as they open.

flyguy:
I really like my Nitek Duo except for 2 things:

1. The PPO2 is fixed at 1.4 on the first gas before the alarms sounds. I'd like to set it to 1.5 but I can't. Sometimes it gets a little anoying if you only go a foot or two below the "conservative" depth when diving nitrox and the alarm keeps beeping.

I really do like how it shows your current PPO2 as your depth changes though.

2. It only logs your profile over time. When you download the information you don't get the ongoing temperature, no-deco time, ascent rate, tissue loading, etc that you will with some other computers.

The battery is user replacable, just unscrew the batter compartment with a coin and you're all set.

You might prefer the Cressi Sub Archimede II 2 mix computer then - according to the manual, there is a factory default alarm at 1.4 bar ppO2 for both Mix1 and Mix2, but also that these are user configurable alarms that can be set anywhere from 1.0 to 1.6 bar ppO2. I haven't seen any user reviews of it yet, and since Scubatoys has discontinued carrying Cressi Sub stuff except for remaining stock on hand, I don't know a place to get a review from. Check the owners manual download.

http://cressisub.it/intro.php?lang=us&id_catalogo=2&id_categoria=3&id_prodotto=45&m=scheda#

However, LP is offering the 2 mix and 1 mix versions apparently at the same price currently - the 'black' picture is for the 1 mix version, and the 'silver' and 'yellow' apparently are the 2 mix version - but I haven't called LP to confirm, as I'm happy enough with my TUSA.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CSBAW.html

I can always put Mix2 as the mix I'm diving when diving a single mix, and set the depth alarm at a depth that corresponds to 1.5 ATA ppO2 for that mix - so I get a warning alarm on depth at 1.5 ATA ppO2 and I still have a second alarm on ppO2 at 1.6 ATA. I think this is how I'll rig for my upcoming trip to Saba and Statia.

Sounds like the TUSA and Apeks dive logging software has a few more features than the NiTek software you're using, as it shows the tissue compartment loading vs. time throughout the dive for all 12 theoretical compartments modeled, as well as the aggregate "PGT" throughout the dive after downloading.

LesN:
Thanks. Well, sounds like I am going to purchase an IQ-700 for the two year warranty. Now, wonder if Scubatoys can get it to me before I fly out to Bonaire Saturday morning?? They're in Texas, I'm on the East coast. Should be possible. Got to call them as soon as they open.

You've probably already talked with the Scubatoys folks by now, but if you're looking for really big display digits and only one N2/O2 mix, you could consider the TUSA IQ-800. Same algorithm, different download cradle, but it costs more than the two mix capable IQ-700.

WarmWaterDiver, Thanks. Yes, I talked to the ScubaToys guys and man, what a wonderful bunch. I mention that I wanted one before my trip to Bonaire (leaving Saturday) and next thing I know, I have a IQ-700 sitting here at my desk before noon. They shipped it out next day to me fast as lightning. I am so pleased with their service and also this computer. Can't wait to get it wet (and me).

Daryl Morse:
I've got an Apeks Quantum, which is very similar to the Duo. Coming up on 50 dives with it. I also have a download cable. I'm very happy with the computer and recommend it.
Up until yesterday, my Apeks Quantum has worked perfectly. I did a couple of dives using two mixes. The computer worked perfectly including the gas switches. When I got home, when I hooked up the cable and tried to switch the computer into PC mode, I found that the buttons weren't working. I tried resetting the unit this morning and it is basically dead. There are a couple of flickering numbers on the screen, but that's it. The shop where I purchased it has a new unit waiting for me. So I guess I'm a member of the club.

Hmmm. That's unfortunate (I've got the Quantum as well). Glad to hear that you're getting it switched right away though.
I know you said you had 50+ dives on it, over how many months was that? I'm just curious about the warranty.

Thanks

Bjorn

jeckyll:
Hmmm. That's unfortunate (I've got the Quantum as well). Glad to hear that you're getting it switched right away though.
I know you said you had 50+ dives on it, over how many months was that? I'm just curious about the warranty.

Thanks

Bjorn
I purchased the unit in January of this year and it had around 45 dives when it failed. The LDS I got it from provided a new replacement unit.

I sent an email to Apeks to ask them about the issues that have been reported. They told me that there have been some units with problems in the display and buttons, but they have been given assurances by the manufacturer that the problems have been rectified. They are supporting dealers to offer replacements on defective units because of the problems.

Thank you, that's reassuring :)

Bjorn

My quantum just died last week. It's going back to apeks in a few days. bought 2 18 months ago, this is the second replacement needed. Great computer, but if another one fails after this, I won't be having it replaced again, you need some reliability.

Back
Top Bottom