Anyone using the S&S YS-01?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onewolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning to purchase two more strobes for our FIX G10 housings. We currently each shoot with a single YS-110A. I assumed we would get two more YS-110A strobes, however it looks like (on paper) that the YS-01 may be a less expensive alternative. My wife likes the smaller size/less weight of the YS-01 vs the YS-110a.

I was wondering if anyone has been shooting with the YS-01 and what is the overall opinion?

Thanks.

Doug

I am also very curious about these little strobes (also the ys-02) .... you would think someone has used them by now, but I have not had any luck finding any reviews either.....

The YS-01 is a great, compact strobe. I have set up a number of them for macro strobes on DSLRS, as well as primary strobes for P&S cameras.

As for your set up, and already having a 110a, I highly suggest sticking with a balanced set up and getting another 110a strobe. Balanced lighting is ideal, especially if you are using the Fix UWL wide angle lens. The 110a has noticeable difference in power over the 01...it is a bit more expensive, but you will be happier in the long run.

Perhaps, you might look at moving one 110a to the other set up, having one set up with dual 110a and the other with dual 01 strobes? The 01s are good strobes, and I like them a lot...but I think setting up your system to be balanced is important for all around shooting and definitely for wide angle.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning to 'mix' strobes. Assuming we decide on the YS-01 strobes, then my wife will use those two and I will use the dual YS-110As.

Our YS-01s arrived yesterday from Reef Photo. I hooked them up on my wife's G10/Fix system and verified that they function as expected. No problems so far. Hopefully we'll be able to dive this weekend and see how they do UW.

Two photos to show how they compare size wise to the YS-110A

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

I wish I could see the difference in similar pictures taken by those two sets...

I've been using a single YS-01 for the past couple of months and I'm loving it ! Great strobe, great results. Will probably add a second one soon for extreme wide angle applications.

I will be the white mouse to experiment the mix strobe-ys-110a and ys-01. I have just received my new ys-01, it really looks good, but haven't got a chance to dive and test it yet.

In my understanding, if I use TTL, when the output power is less than the max power of ys-01, they should be balanced. Only when the output exceeds what ys-01 can give, it will be unbalanced. Is that right? I feel sometimes I prefer a bit "unbalanced" lighting for a better 3D view of the object.

I've had a YS-01 attached to a G11 for a month or two now. It's easily powerful enough for what I like to do (which admittedly is mostly macro), and I can easily get all of my camera gear into a single carry-on bag for travel. I'm pretty sure I could get a second one plus arm in the current bag too, which is nice (I suspect I shall be finding out before too long).

Apologies for being narcissistic enough to post the same link in 2 different posts 10 minutes apart, but my latest round of pictures are here.

Dave

I've been in Cozumel for the past week, (still here), and been using the YS-01 hard every day. I'm getting GREAT results with this strobe, It absolutely kills :) I'm using the S90 - Ikelite - FIX UWL-04-YS-01 combination, and it's great. The YS-01 not only "just works", but in all honesty, I've been working it hard all week, with a couple of "bumps & bangs" here and there. For what it's worth, I've been using 2100 mwh Eneloops, and I've gotten 4 dives a day out of them, easily. If anyones interested, I can post some pic's in a couple of weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom