Anyone using the S&S YS-01?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am using the YS-01 and as it is my first external strobe I am afraid I can't give a very knowledgeable review... however I like it and it's working well for me.

Wrongcrowd Gallery :: Fantasy Island, November 2010

The only thing I don't like: I have been told that the power knob on the YS-01 will control flash exposure compensation when in TTL mode, but as far as I can tell it has no function if you are shooting TTL. I have to use flash exposure comp on the camera which is a few more button pushes. It would be been nice to have that function on the strobe.

I've been in Cozumel for the past week, (still here), and been using the YS-01 hard every day. I'm getting GREAT results with this strobe, It absolutely kills :) I'm using the S90 - Ikelite - FIX UWL-04-YS-01 combination, and it's great. The YS-01 not only "just works", but in all honesty, I've been working it hard all week, with a couple of "bumps & bangs" here and there. For what it's worth, I've been using 2100 mwh Eneloops, and I've gotten 4 dives a day out of them, easily. If anyones interested, I can post some pic's in a couple of weeks.

Hi Muzikbiz22,

Can you please post some pics (especially some wide angle shots, if any) from this dive trip?
I'm really interested in wide angle shots taken from a combo of S90/S95 - Ikelite - FIX UWL-04 - 1 (yes, only 1) YS-01 strobe :)
If all good, I'm ready to buy this exact setup within the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

old thread, last post was a year ago
anyway,
I use YS-01, but 2 as 1 strobe not sufficient for WA. If you're in WA, get 2 YS-02. Sampe spec. except no sTTL but you don't need TTL most of the time.
Here few pics. taken with dual YS-01 in manual mode.

Seafan3.jpg

Dawn.jpg

Awesome shots you've got there!

Thanks, Wisnu!

I will certainly go for 2 strobes in the long run.
Due to current budget constrain, I finally bought a single YS-02 + a focus light (i-torch 555) and go fully manual instead of only 1 YS-01 for the difference in price.
Yes, you're right about the limited WA with 1 strobe + WA conversion lens...but I guess I'll have to make the best out of it for now :D

Anyway, for those others like me (have only 1 strobe due to limited budget but curious on wide-angle shots) I found an interesting guidelines:

underwater-photography-wide-angle-one-strobe

JUt got one for my s90. going Aqaba tuesday. If i don't end up on Al jazzera i'll post pics

We really really like the YS-01 for compact cameras. The strobe is tiny, recycles fast, is powerful, the TTL is spot on, and the controls are very easy to use. - Scott

Back
Top Bottom