AOW at local shop (more expensive) or destination (cheaper)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

topher10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a vacation vacation/hobby diver with dreams of Caribbean or south pacific live-aboards when the kids are grown. Basic certification 2 years ago and about 20 dives in total, and I have all my basic gear covered from internet deals and recent birthday gifts.

For this Christmas I was considering either nitrox or AOW training, and ideally both. My plan was to train at a local shop in town, but I recently compared prices:
A) My LDS will charge around $700 for both classes and checkout dives (in Panama City).
B) Panama City is one of the primary places I dive (~6hr drive), and I have chartered dive trips with multiple shops there. In Panama City I can get both classes for somewhere around $450.

In essence, the LDS charges more just for the checkout dives (which are in Panama City) than destination shops do for the whole thing. I want to support the LDS, but $200-300 is a big swing for me, and I am not sure if I would get better instruction.

Thoughts?

Just do it while on vacation and make your checkout dives also your "fun" dives on the reefs or whatever.

Same thing here, and it's because of the time and expense of travel for the instructor.

I used instructors local to the area where the training was taking place for OWD and AOW.

I'd get it done in the Panama City area. Especially, if that is where you plan to dive frequently. I would try to get them to mail you the teaching materials first so you can read them before arriving for the class.

Why get get those certs... just take money and dive more...

Why get get those certs... just take money and dive more...
Advancing ones education is considered a good thing....FYI!

Trying to safe money on dive courses is most of the time not a very good idea. I am pretty sure you heard "you get what you pay for" before. Way more important is the instructor you choose, not the agency, not the place, but the instructor. A dive instructor should be someone you can trust, and someone you like to have a connection with. I use to say choose your instructor wisely, like for example a tattoo artist (if you have got any tattoos, you know what i talking about). And remember, after the course not the card is diving, it is you as a diver.

A good diving course is not cheap, but you are worth it....

My AOW class is 425.00. That does not include any gear, quarry or boat fees, travel, or air fills. It has 8 hours of classroom and 6 dives. That's per person for two students. I don't usually take more than that. Private AOW is 650.00.
I'm 50 -100% more than the other instructors in my area. No student has ever complained about not getting their money's worth out of my class.

Advancing ones education is considered a good thing....FYI!

I was more asking, did the OP need AOW to dive where he wants to? Or does he need nitrox to lengthen his dives (is he limited by NDL or does he run out of air before then). IMHO I believe $700 (or $400), could be better spent on diving, and gaining experience, then on a certification...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom