Aow=bs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. What a thread. Sorry I couldn't get in here until post number three trillon or whatever. It's taken me a couple of hours to read all of this.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here it goes....

Like most educational systems, there are different certification agencies and then there are different teachers. This is not Burger King vs.McDonald's. There will be differences from one agency to another and inside one agency there will be differences between one instructor and another.

Recommendation: Try changing instructor as you progress through the system. Hopefully you will find a mentor.

PADI: You can knock it, but it is what it is and if it is the way most people choose to dive it is because it consistently enforces STRICT STANDARDS AT INSTRUCTOR LEVEL. It also allows people to move on with the same certification agency any where in the world.

OWD: You can go diving alone with a dive buddy now up to 18 meters. Most newly certified OWDs DO NOT FEEL SAFE doing that? It is not because of bad training or the system, it is that they still want to dive with people who can take of them. Nothing wrong with that. That's what Dive Masters are for, among other things.

AOWD: Personally, I think it is a great idea. It allows you to get further training, you become less self conscious and more aware of what is going on around you and you get some good basics in Deep Diving and Navigation and a chance to experience with an instructor say Night Diving or S&R or whatever it is that turns you on. Above all it is designed to make you also have FUN diving. All PADI courses should be FUN as well as enhance your training. This is another stepping stone on your way to becoming a Rescue Diver which is, in my own humble and very personal opinion the KEY PADI COURSE. I would like all divers to consider doing the RD Course and to progress from OWD to RD and it seems to me that AOWD is a great idea to get more RELAXED about your diving before moving on to RD.

Therefore taking AOWD pretty shortly after OWD sounds right to me. I think there should then be a certain gap before RD. "Have fun before you get serious", as a concept? Of course most people say, quite rightly that RD was their best course and enjoyed it. Sure, feeling tht you know what to if something goes wrong makes most of us feel more secure.

NAMING CERTIFICATIONS: I think PADI has done pretty good job. I have seen some pretty funny ones around the globe.

Examples: 2nd Class Diver, 1st Class Diver, Master Diver. Now that's a good way to get people to progress, who wants to be a 2nd Class Diver?

How about this, 1 Star Diver, 2 Star Diver, 3 Star Diver? Gee whiz, all Admirals in that organization!

A lot of the time, when working with kids, I "award" them funny titles like Super Master Advanced Open Water Diver or Senior Chief Rescue Diver. They love it.

As far as adults are concerned, I don't think of certs being titles at all, but rather an indication of the level of training somebody has. In larger dive centers, this gives us a chance if we have say three different boats going out in the morning to try to adjust the groups so that more or less the same level of training divers go together. Of course, one tries to monitor the number of dives done by asking to see a log book when people sign up and you also get a pretty good idea when looking at peoples equipment and then watching how they kit up both off and on the boat.

Fitness levels will also be a factor to take into account as well as other health issues (sinus prone, getting over a cold, feeling queezy) and so on.

I don't think that AOWD=BS. It's a great course and I recommend it to all.

There is a lot of PADI bashing and badge bashing going on. I think everybody knows in their own heart what they put in to get "a badge". So if you earned it, be proud. If you feel it was "given" to you, change instructor or DC and EARN ONE YOU FEEL PROUD OF or you can just dive through life feeling ashamed of yourself.

BTW: I LOVE SCUBABOARD AND IF WE DIDN'T ALL HAVE OUR OWN OPINION THIS WOULD NOT BE WHAT IT IS.

*snip* ... I think everybody knows in their own heart what they put in to get "a badge". So if you earned it, be proud. If you feel it was "given" to you, change instructor or DC and EARN ONE YOU FEEL PROUD OF ... */snip*
some good thoughts Leapfrog, I like this part of your post most of all.

I am proud of my cards. I worked to get my certs, I feel like I earned them and even though I had one (know-it-all) person in the Rescue class smirk when I asked the instrutor to sign the wall cert that PADI gives you for that class, I am proud of that one most of all

Examples: 2nd Class Diver, 1st Class Diver, Master Diver. Now that's a good way to get people to progress, who wants to be a 2nd Class Diver?

I really like that one. It's much more socially acceptable than my naming standards, which for some reason, no agencies chose to adopt :D:
  1. Probably won't die if watched closely
  2. Probably won't die
  3. Might be able to help with problems.
  4. Will be able to help, can dive with #1 divers
I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm certain that adopting my naming conventions would result in a huge reduction in accidents, and give dive operators something much more solid to base their assessments on.. :D

Terry

Flag current - fins back on before drifting ten feet, and that was with hands that barely functioned.

By which time you wont get back to the boat.

Guess you've never been required to do a timed bailout or skin diving doff and don.

Many times.

Are they doing EANx in Open Water training now????????:no

Some agencies do. BSAC recently started it for example.

Why is it such a shock? Nitrox is an incredibly simple and fast concept to teach.

There are? Actually statistically PROVEN benefits?

How about less nitrogen in your system if you dive to air tables? Not EAD, just air tables. That is a measurable benefit and if there are no statistics to prove it out is only because nobody bothered to run a specific experiment.

How about less nitrogen in your system if you dive to air tables? Not EAD, just air tables. That is a measurable benefit and if there are no statistics to prove it out is only because nobody bothered to run a specific experiment.

Actually not true. They have run tests. And as far as im aware revealed no statistically significant difference in rates of DCI.

Sometimes what may SEEM logical may have such a tiny real world effect that its not measurable or greatly masked by other factors.

Fact is a this basic level the tables and computers are so safe that any other potential thing to decrease the already minuscule risk of DCI has no measurable effect.

Actually not true. They have run tests. And as far as im aware revealed no statistically significant difference in rates of DCI.

Sometimes what may SEEM logical may have such a tiny real world effect that its not measurable or greatly masked by other factors.

Fact is a this basic level the tables and computers are so safe that any other potential thing to decrease the already minuscule risk of DCI has no measurable effect.
Semantics, perhaps ... but tables and computers aren't safe, they're conservative. In order to be safe you have to use them properly. And even then, I've known people to bend themselves staying well within the limits of their conservative dive computers. Unfortunately, the computer doesn't know anything about your physiology, how much sleep you had last night ... or how many drinks, how well hydrated you were prior to the dive, or a host of other things that factor into your susceptibility for DCI. All it knows is your dive profile and an idealized mathematical model that says you are within "acceptable risk limits". All those limits do is reduce your potential for getting bent ... they do not eliminate the possibility.

And FWIW - coming up too fast from safety stop is probably the number one reason why people get bent. It's supposed to take a full half-minute ... not the five to ten seconds that most recreational divers tend to take ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom