AOW cert or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better to get the cert than get turned away from a dive you want to make.

I had not been turned away from any dive I ever wanted to make, but I'm old, my gear is well used, never had to show a card, but I picked up a couple of certs to insure it would not be a problem later, and I did learn a few things along the way. I certified OW for the same reason, I did not want to be inconvienced at an inopportune time.

Actually I see nothing wrong with being a carreer OW diver and, under different cimstances I would be one now, but I see no reason to complain about it. Compared to the cost of diving, the cost of AOW is nothing, I am supprised it is as cheap as it is.

Bob
-------------------------------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

It isn't a lot of money but it would be if I felt like all I got out of the course was another card.

May I suggest booking a vacation to dive some new sites and pick up your advance certification in the process. Los Angeles offers some pretty nice diving in a beautiful kelp forrest. You can book on a local dive boat to Catalina Island for 30+ visibility or stay on the mainland and enjoy 10-20 foot visiblity off the beach. NAUI requires 6 dives for advance.

This summer son and I did Nitrox, AOW, and Deep (same weekend as AOW).

There are the cards that I personally deem worth having from a "show me your card" perspective. From that perspective alone, to know that I will not be turned from a dive I want to do because of the lack of a card, the money is well spent.

Some with that belief will approach the course that way and not really worry about instructor selection or actually learning anything. I did my best to make sure I recieved value that way as well, and I believe I did.

In the end, though, nobody can tell you what the value is to you, you have to decide that for yourself.

It isn't a lot of money but it would be if I felt like all I got out of the course was another card.

You get what you accept.

I wouldn't spend $10 on a card. I'd spend a fortune (in fact, I have) to develop good diving skills.

The important point to be aware of is that not all courses are alike.

Whilst the same basic syllabus and standards will be consistent, some instructors have the motivation and capability to deliver a course that far exceeds the stated minimums... tailoring their instruction based upon a student's needs, rather than just what's listed in a wafer-thin manual.

As for AOW, 5 dives is a lot of quality time in the water.... if you've got an instructor who knows how to help you develop.

i would get it. and a nitrox card. with those you should never have problems. and for further training they are the basis to continue training from
a deep card would't hurt either., i cant think of any training that did not need other than those 3 cards.

Wow....I see this as being one of those debates that no one can win. Why? Because a diver can become a very very good diver while accruing a lot of certs. I diver can also become a very very good diver by just diving with experienced divers and paying attention to what is going on and listening to those around him.

And AOW card doesnt necessarily mean anything at all. I have dove with AOW divers that needed to go back and start all over at OW. I dove with a guy that had his DM that I would NEVER want for a buddy. He was an accident waiting to happen. I have dove with OW divers that appeared to be fantastic divers.

On the other hand, a log book doesnt mean a dam thing either. People can log a LOT of dives without really getting better at diving if they dont pay attention and put in some effort.

The ONLY way to really know how good a diver is, is to dive with him, or maybe if someone you trust implicitly vouches for him after diving with him.

I have been along on a LOT of dives where others were doing their AOW and did everything they did. The only AOW dive I have not done is nav. But, I am no closer to getting my AOW because I didnt put up any money towards AOW prior to doing those dives.

I will at some time get my AOW. I will probably learn some good things when I do it. However, other than nav, I am pretty darn sure I wont learn anything that is REQUIRED that I havent already learned.

Last edited:
Wow....I see this as being one of those debates that no one can win. Why? Because a diver can become a very very good diver while accruing a lot of certs. I diver can also become a very very good diver by just diving with experienced divers and paying attention to what is going on and listening to those around him.

And AOW card doesnt necessarily mean anything at all. I have dove with AOW divers that needed to go back and start all over at OW. I dove with a guy that had his DM that I would NEVER want for a buddy. He was an accident waiting to happen. I have dove with OW divers that appeared to be fantastic divers.

On the other hand, a log book doesnt mean a dam thing either. People can log a LOT of dives without really getting better at diving if they dont pay attention and put in some effort.

The ONLY way to really know how good a diver is, is to dive with him, or maybe if someone you trust implicitly vouches for him after diving with him.

I have been along on a LOT of dives where others were doing their AOW and did everything they did. The only AOW dive I have not done is nav. But, I am no closer to getting my AOW because I didnt put up any money towards AOW prior to doing those dives.

I will at some time get my AOW. I will probably learn some good things when I do it. However, other than nav, I am pretty darn sure I wont learn anything that is REQUIRED that I havent already learned.

Which all boils down to:

As a diver, if you want to make sure you are never turned down due to lack of cert, get your AOW. If you choose, you can (possibly) learn something in the process.

Just don't think that this wil confer you a level of prestige your actual skills cannot support.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom