AOW cert or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're asking about a specific charter, CALL AHEAD. My fiancee and I went on a charter where we "needed" an AOW cert. She doesn't have an AOW cert. We called and they said it was a matter of comfort. Was she comfortable diving to that depth in those conditions? Yes she was. They were okay with that. However, compared to the cost of a trip from MS to anywhere GREAT for diving....an AOW cert might be cheap. I think that if it'll stop you from getting to go on one good dive, you would've been better off getting your AOW. Also, one more thing: the best training any diver can get is good Rescue Diver training. AOW is one more step towards your Rescue....which I believe everyone should be able to get.

My wife and I did not plan to get our AOW, we do most of our diving together from our own boat with our own equipment. This year when we were in Cozumel we took AOW for less than 150.00 each with all the fees and dives included. Just the five dives would normally cost more than that. The instructor was very patient and thorough and we are glad we did it. We had been to 90+ feet with our OW in Cozumel and never had anyone say anything down there. Here in Arkansas our LDS will not take you places and let you dive past your cert.

We used Cozumel Tours with Juan "Porfirio" Gonzales.

Nitrox, AOW, and Deep
When I show these cards I am usually only asked one more question: "When and where was your last dive"
So now I can start learning to dive :cool2:

I have heard of divers who were not taken on dives because they could not produce an AOW-card, I want to dive and relax when on holiday not argue with an operator.

AOW, as with other courses really depend on the quality of the instructor. There are instructors who go way beyond what is required. Another option is to get into a DIR oriented basic course such as the GUE fundies or UTD essentials. Even if you do not get the cert it will definitely improve your diving.

Also, one more thing: the best training any diver can get is good Rescue Diver training. AOW is one more step towards your Rescue....which I believe everyone should be able to get.

I also believe that Rescue should be on the mandatory list of training, but contrary to popular belief, AOW is not needed to take Rescue in the following agencies:

PADI
You need to be at least 12 years old, certified to beyond entry-level with proof of underwater navigation training, such as PADI Adventure Diver with the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive completed, and be fit for diving to be certified as a PADI Rescue Diver.
[ A little more conveluted than the others but OW and the Nav specialty, or OW and any specialty and the Nav adventure dive should do it.]

NAUI
Age. Minimum is 15 years. CPR & First Aid Certification: If accredited First Aid and CPR certification are not
offered as part of the course, current certification in both is required for certification. Diving Certification: NAUI
Scuba Diver
or equivalent.

SSI
What do I need to start?
*SSI Open Water Diver or SSI Junior Advanced Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
*Minimum age: 15 years old (12 for SSI Junior Rescue Diver)
*Successful completion of a sanctioned CPR program within the past 24 months (Emergency First Response or Medic First Aid)

Anyone who says AOW is mandatory for Rescue is misinformed or making a sale.

Bob
------------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

First I must say that I think the AOW course, at least the ones with which I am involved , are useful and grow divers in important and lasting ways. However, Xfactor1315, my wife has a basic open water certification, over 200 dives, and has never been denied access to any dive center or boat operation site. She is an excellent and experienced diver. She also dives with me, an insured professional, so that makes things easier. Many, but not all dive operators will look at logged dives and determine experience and competence level, but some won't take the time. those are the ones who want to see and AOW card. The irony is that a person can get an AOW card without having much experience at all, and not be as competent as an experienced open water diver in the condition of the dive at issue. Unless you travel with your own private divemaster, like Debbie does, I would say get the card. And look forward to learning a few things or at least improving some skills in the process.
DivemasterDennis

like an odometer on a car fails to reveal how skilled of a driver you are, a log book tells you nothing of your ability to handle the potential situations of diving. Take the class, and press the instructor to challenge you. There was a similar post where a SBer with >1,000 dives took an AOW class. I believe he enjoyed it....

Bob, I know that AOW isn't required for rescue with PADI....but their prerequisite is Adventure Diver. I think Adventure Diver is the biggest waste of a certification (other than MAYBE PADI's "Scuba Diver") and if you're getting your Adventure you had might as well skip it and get your Advanced. Even if you only need Adventure and NAV Specialty, that's still the same quality of instruction (the minimums are scary-low) and probably even more money. As far as NAUI and SSI....you're right, I was wrong about them. I have no idea how they work.

About Rescue being the minimum...I understand and whole-heartedly agree.

Most places require the card..may as well get it...but seek out an instructor that's going to actually TEACH you something to make it worth your while. Personally, my AOW course was sort of a waste, but I knew that certain dive operators wanted to see that card.

Why I thought my course was a waste was that I didn't actually learn anything new or different, it was just five dives of "experiences"... (my LDS only did certain elective dives since we're limited) I ended up doing mine about 45 dives into my dive log... I wish I would have just taken it right after my OW class, but I waited....

As far as learning anything? My dive buddies know that my navigation skills suck, and there is no way that that the AOW course was going to change that (maybe if I took a nav course with the right teacher, even then...doubt it! I'm a follower, and thankfully they accept me!) The search and recovery dive was an "experience" as was the night dive. I had already done the deep dive that we performed several times (and in fact, more or less lead the dive with the DM) The peak performance buoyancy dive would have worked better had I had a dry suit at the time, I had little to no trouble doing that in a wet suit.

Looking back on it, (which was five years ago next month) I remember any skills practice was done on my knees, and not neutrally buoyant. I just had a discussion last night with one of the guys that used to work at my LDS about trying to attain that "no movement hover" (which I'm still struggling with) and he said it's not hard to do, and once you get it, you get it! But add in some sort of task, and then it gets tough...I'm working towards that. AOW? Me kneeling on a platform unlocking a lock and playing tic-tac-toe didn't help!

But the card opens doors, and lets me do advanced dives, so what can you do? Suck it up, pay the money, get it! And as I said hopefully you can find an instructor that's wort his salt, and teaches you something you can really use! Maybe PADI should just make the "basic" course 10 dives...do your basic OW stuff, then go right into AOW to get you your card! Why wait?

I got mine to be able to go on charters without hassle. After paying for the course my car needed to be replaced after 388,000. miles so I spent more money on another car and haven't been on a charter yet. I regret taking the course now, I could've gone on 3 local charters anyway. Local charters are no problem they know me. I didn't need it and got nothing out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom