AOW & Nitrox course - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
Adherence to training and dive planning underwater is a diving fundamental irrespective of who you are.
I'm not arguing that there should be a mandatory dive for nitrox or that Nitrox should be a mandatory option in AOW but using Nitrox can have consequences on a dive and I'm just giving a loose example of how some divers can get complacent.

I think it's more likely an example of some divers getting narced. The only thing that will prevent that is some He in the mix.

Just an aside,

Last year on one particular dive in the Red Sea, there were 5 divers.
1 guide (instructor)
1 buddy pair (2 instructors)
1 buddy pair (1 Dm and 1 Rescue diver (me)

Dive plan on the boat was to max depth of 30m - all of us on 32 EAN.

We hit 30m at the bottom of the reef - I stayed at 30m (actually 29.9 as I have dive insurance to 30m) - the others went to 37m for 5 mins. The DM woke up and joined me at 30m, waving at the others who stayed another 3 mins or so.

I asked them what they saw - blank stares all round - they did not tell me or wanted to tell me.

Adherence to training and dive planning underwater is a diving fundamental irrespective of who you are.
I'm not arguing that there should be a mandatory dive for nitrox or that Nitrox should be a mandatory option in AOW but using Nitrox can have consequences on a dive and I'm just giving a loose example of how some divers can get complacent.

BTW this is not a criticism of you just in case it reads like that. Your comment that there are no underwater skills triggered my response.

I’m not sure I follow. I know i don’t always clearly communicate what I intend to say and this may be one of those times.

Dive planning is something I put in the category of knowledge, not skills. it isn’t like deploying a DSMB at depth or navigating a pattern or hovering. I.e., some physical activity. AOW is so short (5dives), there is typically no mastery of skills, as students need to not drown when completing the skills. Given that performance requirements of mastery are not met typically, my belief is that AOW students should be introduced to as many physical skills as possible. When I taught in the PADI system, I chose the electives of ppb, night, and DSMB. I even wrote a PADI-style student manual for the DSMB specialty to fill in the knowledge gap as no student manual existed in 2017.

Nitrox by itself has no required dives. I don’t see “don’t go beyond your MOD” as a skill.

So yes, I stand by my original statement of a red flag for a dive op that will have nitrox as one of their adventure dives. They are just lazy and are most likely just selling certifications. Personally, and I think pretty much every instructor on SB, really wants our students to learn and to improve in a meaningful way in every course we teach.

Sorry guys, but your posts cause so many emotions in me, mostly frustration. Since we are talking about the PADI system, PADI defines master of skills as being performed fluidly, comfortably, and repeatedly. In both confined and open water, students are to be able to hover fluidly, comfortably, and repeatedly. If they cannot, they are not to proceed to the skills in the next dive until they are able to do so.
There is absolutely no reason why a competent diver cannot be created out of PADI's open water.

Wholeheartedly agree OW should produce competent divers and skills should be mastered before moving on. If I were a scuba instructor, I think I would also be frustrated by this conversation (I can relate as a retired school teacher/coach.)

Maybe because everyone doesn't get the same training in OW or because skills deteriorate somewhat from a lack of diving, my point to a perspective AOW student taking the course in a resort town is don't expect too much; and to use your point, a student taking the PADI AOW is not going to be asked to achieve the same mastery requirements as in OW. At least that's my experience of taking AOW and being on boats with others who were taking it.

And AOW is supposed to give students new skills and experience. It isn't just about "building confidence." If it is, then I need to shred every PADI card I have all the way up to IDC Staff

"Build confidence" are the words from the PADI AOW webpage, not mine.:)

Rant over. Again, @jonhall and @MichaelMc, This rant wasn't directed at you, but just the situation.

No problems here. I agree with you!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 47
Maybe because everyone doesn't get the same training in OW or because skills deteriorate somewhat from a lack of diving, my point to a perspective AOW student taking the course in a resort town is don't expect too much; and to use your point, a student taking the PADI AOW is not going to be asked to achieve the same mastery requirements as in OW. At least that's my experience of taking AOW and being on boats with others who were taking it.

Oh, I disagree that students are not asked to achieve the same mastery skills in OW and AOW. I think they are far too often never achieving the intended definition of mastery in all courses. And full disclosure, when I first became an instructor, I was part of the problem: students on the knees, student didn't drown when completing skills, and off they go! I was never taught how to teach. I hadn't even been shown the "moving towards neutral buoyancy" article. I didn't have to hit rock bottom as I already there. But I turned my life around. I went to IA (instructors anonymous), confessed that "I'm an instructor and I put students on their knees", and that was the first step in my recovery. I can say happily today that I don't put students on their knees ever. Those dark days are in my past! :wink:

"Build confidence" are the words from the PADI AOW webpage, not mine.:)!

Yes, but the entire quote is: The course helps build confidence and expand your scuba skills through different Adventure Dives.

Anyway, I think we've covered this. Happy and safe bubble blowing everyone (the former just for you rebreather divers).

I’m not sure I follow. I know i don’t always clearly communicate what I intend to say and this may be one of those times.

I was the one who was unclear - not you.
I don’t see “don’t go beyond your MOD” as a skill either.

What prompted my aside was reading ""There are no underwater skills associated with nitrox" out of context.
A little voice in my head said: "Yeah, and you shouldn't chuck out common sense either."

IA little voice in my head said: "Yeah, and you shouldn't chuck out common sense either."

That made me laugh out loud.

I always enjoy these respectful exchanges where we reach consensus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom