AOW/Rescue Diver Not Respected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My real wonder is, is this mostly an easy way for dive ops to generate students and cash, at least as much as it is a "safety" protocol?
No, because they generate no additional cash by devoting the first dive to a checkout.

I think almost all dive shops are in some way pushing classes, so they can push more gear.
This probably has some truth in it, but is not really much related to checkout dives on dive trips or by dive operators or at resorts.

My answer was in no way related to checkout dives, just and opinion in response to Augablancos latest question.

I think checkout dives are a way for a shop to CYOA and to better match the diver to the site, less so trying to sell classes.

No, because they generate no additional cash by devoting the first dive to a checkout.

So, you know for a fact that a dive op wouldn't try to sell PPB , or AOW, or any other class or piece of equipment based on their observations of how a diver conducts their dive? You, my friend, know way more than I ever will. I see it more this way. One wants to dive a particular site, claimed by the dive op to require AOW, and being only OW the dive op offers to get you up to AOW so you can dive the desired site. Oh, you don't have an SMB? We can sell you one. I am not saying any of this is bad, some of it is capitalism, some of it may be opportunism, all of it is human nature. Very little of it, at least in my mind, seems safety oriented.

I think almost all dive shops are in some way pushing classes, so they can push more gear.

You don't say?!?

Just like real businesses do?

Next thing someone's gonna tell me that restaurants push food and GAP pushes clothes...

... those scoundrels....

Seriously though.... dive shops ARE in the business of making money. I've never seen a charity dive shop.

However, selling a product should meet the customers' needs. It's not good business to sell the wrong product (or the right product at the wrong time).

That said.. talking about entry /novice/ intermediate level diving... there's not very many divers who wouldn't benefit from further training.

Anyone here seriously believe they wouldn't benefit from further training?!?

Last edited:
So, you know for a fact that a dive op wouldn't try to sell PPB , or AOW, or any other class or piece of equipment based on their observations of how a diver conducts their dive? You, my friend, know way more than I ever will. I see it more this way. One wants to dive a particular site, claimed by the dive op to require AOW, and being only OW the dive op offers to get you up to AOW so you can dive the desired site. Oh, you don't have an SMB? We can sell you one. I am not saying any of this is bad, some of it is capitalism, some of it may be opportunism, all of it is human nature. Very little of it, at least in my mind, seems safety oriented.
What you are describing there has nothing to do with checkout dives, which is what you started this thread talking about. Whether AOW actually means anything is a completely different topic, oft discussed here. Your particular position on this does not bear any relevance to whether a dive op insists on a checkout dive to asses actual skill as differentiated from certifications.

One wants to dive a particular site, claimed by the dive op to require AOW, and being only OW the dive op offers to get you up to AOW so you can dive the desired site.

Here's the thing... check out dives reduce the need for dive centers to impose unilateral limits based on qualification level.

As people have said repeatedly in this thread.... it's better to practically assess ability than to inspect a c-card or log book.

Divers can then be assigned appropriate dives according to their ability. Nice huh?

It's hard to believe how many posts this topic has generated. I have rarely had formal check outs, maybe informal by a DM. Who cares, as long as the procedure does not limit the dive opportunity in any substantial way.

You don't say?!?

Just like real businesses do?

Next thing someone's gonna tell me that restaurants push food and GAP pushes clothes...

... those scoundrels....

Seriously though.... dive shops ARE in the business of making money. I've never seen a charity dive shop.

However, selling a product should meet the customers' needs. It's not good business to sell the wrong product (or the right product at the wrong time).

That said.. talking about entry /novice/ intermediate level diving... there's not very many divers who wouldn't benefit from further training.

Anyone here seriously believe they wouldn't benefit from further training?!?

Oh I do Say:D I am with you about more training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom