AOW "Specialties"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dives I offer in my AOW course are Advanced Skills which covers propulsion techniques, performing all basic skills horizontal in mid water, use and deployment of stage bottle, shooting bag, and buddy skills. UW Navigation which IMO is a core skill that every competent diver should have, Night/Low vis, Deep, Search and Recovery, and Buddy Skills and Assist which refines proper buddy skills and introduces new rescue and assist skills. This involves 100 ft no mask swims, 100 ft no mask air share swims, no mask air share swims and ascents, recovery of an unconscious diver from depth, loss of buoyancy assist, and rescue tows. I will substitue wreck for Search and Recovery if the student wants and is willing to cover the expense of doing actual wreck dives. A school bus in a quarry is not a wreck.

I wish my AOW course had been something like that. I learned some lessons for sure, but I can't say I was taught much. Often AOW amounts to just an introductory dive with an instructor to open you eyes a bit. For instance, our "wreck specialty" boiled down to a dive on a wreck where we learned "That's a wreck. Don't go inside without doing the wreck diver specialty COURSE."

Another vote for NAV=most important unless you enjoy swimming on the surface in full SCUBA gear shark bait.
I'm in the Buffalo, NY area and the Niagara rive drift is a gas of a thrill ride when the currents up and even when its not. A "must do" if you live in this area and even if you don't...
Nav, night and deep are required for PADI AOW then you choose 2 more that you're interested in.

Only an intro dive. This does NOT earn the specialty but that dive can be credited toward the specialty at a later date.

Greetings fellow Utahn, I would consider Nav #1 night #2 and after that... divers choice. I have told Jim in the past that I would like to take a class from him. Wish he would relocate.

If this is PADI AOW, I believe deep and nav are required. With the right instructor, I would highly recommend PPB (with the wrong one, it's pretty worthless). Night and S&R are good ones. Dry suit, if you intend to dive one. Specialties are SO dependent on what the instructor decides to add to them.

I didn't mention Nav or Deep in my post because I am a PADI Instructor and those two are required. So I took that as a given. The way Jim Lapenta teaches his AOW course is not the way you have to teach it according to PADI. I'm definitely not saying he is wrong. I would have loved to have had that kind of AOW experience when I did mine. Point I'm trying to make is that when you get really experienced instructors, like Jim, you typically get more than your money's worth. Reading the way Jim teaches his AOW made me take a look at the way I teach it and has inspired me to offer my students more out of their AOW. Kudos Jim!!

Remember Jim, as I understand from previous posts, considers buoyancy control as an essential part of Open Water. I suspect many of us would not pass his entry criteria for AOW buoyancy control and trim.
For me peak buoyancy and trim should be a prerequisite in AOW and as Jim said many of the other skills should be held in open water well away from reference points.

I didn't mention Nav or Deep in my post because I am a PADI Instructor and those two are required. So I took that as a given. The way Jim Lapenta teaches his AOW course is not the way you have to teach it according to PADI. I'm definitely not saying he is wrong. I would have loved to have had that kind of AOW experience when I did mine. Point I'm trying to make is that when you get really experienced instructors, like Jim, you typically get more than your money's worth. Reading the way Jim teaches his AOW made me take a look at the way I teach it and has inspired me to offer my students more out of their AOW. Kudos Jim!!

As to my entry criteria. This is why I do a preclass assesment that may incldue pool and a few dives at my expense. What you think may not be good enough skills may take no more than 2-3 hours of proper weighting instruction, practice with skills and not much more. The problem is that a number of OW instructors do their students a great disservice by making them think that trim, buoyancy control, and proper weigthing are not as important as they should be or by giving them some FALSE indication that they are beyond their ability. I have yet to meet a student where with a little patience and time that this is true. I can have most doing basic mask remove and replace and reg recovery while swimming and horizontal and even in a basic horizontal hover within an half hour of the first session on scuba. Some take a bit longer but I expect that to happen and just be a little more patient with those students. By the end of session two on scuba they are there.

Thanks Auvie. As you are probably aware I am not a PADI instructor and in fact have only been an instructor since May of 08. What I did in developing my AOW was draw very heavily on my experience as a diver first beginning with my very first ocean dive, (which was to 118 ft in the well deck of the Spiegel Grove), my experience as a DM for a number of different instructors from various agencies, and a great deal on the tech training I received and those dives I did.

My first priority in any course I teach and especially in the ones I write is simply "What will most benefit the student?" When we hand them a card that says advanced on it or specialty we owe it to them to, rightly or wrongly, assume that they are at some time going to use this for an advanced dive or a dive that truly requires the skills noted and depend on their training to do so successfully. I approached my course with this in mind. I asked myself why did I go for AOW in the first place? The honest answer was to go deep. Beyond 60 ft. Reading and talking to other divers seemed to indicate that this was a common thing. In essence my entire course was built around the idea that many divers were going to use this cert to do deep dives and put themselves at the higher risk.

So now what do they need and what is the natural progression. This was the core idea and guiding premise. Going deep is not where divers should be doing vertical ascents and descents-too little control. The advanced skills dive was born. Working on basic skills while horizontal, staying in trim, proper weighting, and keeping a regular breathing pattern while performing the skills. Propulsion- if the bottom is silty or the wreck covered with growth why would you need to contact it? But you still want to stay close to it. Frog kicks, helicopter turns and back kick. Current can blow you off the wreck- bag shoot makes it much easier to do a blue water ascent and for the boat to find you-SAFETY FIRST! Do enough deep and you soon realize that an al80 is a stupid choice and a redundant air supply is a good idea. So better to have an idea as to how to deploy from someone experienced than just buy one and start using it without a clue. Hand up here!

UW Nav is a core skill for divers IMO. Even a basic intro needs more than a reciprocal, square, and triangle. The swim out 25 kicks turn and swim back and if you're within 20 feet it's ok is out and out BULLSHIITE. Hence the 2 hours of classroom just on that to explain how to turn(stop, turn the bezel,helicopter turn, swim) how to hold the compass, what direction is right turn and left turn, and how to judge current. Then the reason to start with small courses (4-5 kicks per leg vs 20) and build up. The importance of teamwork when doing nav as a new diver and good buddy skills.

Night/low vis- more buddy skills- nav at night- using gauges effectively, and effective COMMUNICATION. And this is done on all dives underwater and ON THE SURFACE!

Deep dive- guess where the advanced skills fits in on this? Hint if you don't know stay shallow! Navigation skills-you can't just pop your head up from 100 feet like you can from 10 or 20 to say oh there's the boat! It's dark at 100 in many places. Better to be that way shallow the first time. Communication and buddy skills big time. Hence the air share ascent from 90 to 50. Narcosis? How many times will you really open a lock or do algebra at depth? But you may very well need to run a reel while managing a light and keeping track of your buddy! Then see an OOA at 90? Yeah you'd want to do that in a more or less controlled situation first! And making a multilevel out of it to aid offgassing and turn a 20 minute BS dive into a 45-50 minute that really gives you a chance to practice works very well.

Search and recovery- Lets see, you're now very aware of the need for buoyancy control and how to do that, effective team and communciation skills base, higher stress level- been there done that. Importance of antisilting kicks oh yeah when you have to go back where you've just been- more than once! And now using a lift bag and seeing why pace and control are so important. Stop adjust buoyancy in the bag not just going up but back down as well. Then when the object is located to take a compass heading and note distance to the search origin point.

I really need to say something here about the way I have seen this done. My own class was one person holds the reel and the other swims the pattern asking for more or less line, indicating object found, etc. I don't know when it was but at some point it occurred to me just how foolish and dangerous this practice is! It seperates the buddy team, it narrows the field of vision and increases the time required thus reducing gas supplies. I have the students use a fixed point to secure the end of the line and then swim as a team with the reel. Less chance of an accident happening.

Finally buddy skills and assist. Any class should have some rescue in it. Most of the items I include in this dive are in the SEI OW class. But what I was getting is students for AOW who had NO RESCUE beyond some BS tows. Outside of students I will not dive with someone who has not had even basic rescue skills such as assisting a buddy at the surface with buoyancy, assisting a panicked diver, and unconscious from depth. I'm safer diving alone. That way I know for certain and have no illusions of safety because there is another person near me. And with cattle boats it's a good idea to know how to lead a maskless buddy and share air with them.

This was longer than I intended but I just wanted to give an insight to the process behind my course. It is not about me being a great instructor. It is about IMO being a caring and thoughtful one who truly cares about his students being prepared. Any instructor can teach this course IF they want to. I only want what is best for my students. And the fact that this course is blast to teach is just icing on the cake. And I will not take more than two students at a time on this unless they are really good and totally comfortable and then I MAY do 3 with the 3rd being my buddy and he/she better be damn good. Otherwise no way as I only have 2 hands to grab with!

Last edited:
I'm in Florida and do alot of diving in the springs and off-shore and I have my Boat, Drift, Nav, Nitrox and Deep specialites....if you get a boat 9 times out of 10 you'd benefit from getting your drift diver at the same time.

I teach an AOW class similar to Jim Lapenta's ... at least in terms of the class objectives being skills-based rather than experience-based. Exposure to a particular type of diving is all well and good, but you can get way more out of the class if you have some idea ahead of time how to deal with the unique nature of the environment. And stronger core skills can be applied on an "as needed" basis to pretty much any environment a recreational diver is exposed to.

I developed the curriculum for my class back in '04, along with another NAUI instructor. We did so because we felt that the training materials offered by the agency were not adequate for our local (Puget Sound) diving environment, and wanted our students to be better prepared for diving unsupervised in conditions that were frequently low-vis and usually had some amount of current to deal with. The core skills we felt were important at the AOW level were dive planning, gas management, situational awareness (i.e. "buddy skills"), buoyancy and trim management, and navigation. The handbook we wrote ... and the classwork offered for the class ... focused on these skills and showed how to apply them. The class offers about 10 hours of classwork and six dives, each with specific objectives ... there are no "electives" since each dive builds on skills practiced on previous dives. Good buoyancy and trim control are emphasized throughout the class.

Dive 1 is a navigation course involving a series of flags, each with a compass heading to the next flag. When you get to the final flag, it just says "Home" ... your objective is to make your way back to the buoy line where you started. We do weight checks at the beginning and end of this dive, using different methods.

Dive 2 is a series of short dives used to measure your gas consumption in varying conditions. After the measurements, you'll get to practice deploying an SMB from about a 20-foot depth. Once deployed, I'll pull it back down and you get to try it again (and again) until you're comfortable with the procedure. Then we ascend while you spool up the line, stopping at 10 feet to allow you to practice a mid-water hover.

Dive 3 is a night dive, where you get to practice your navigational skills, as well as using lights for both illumination and communication.

Dive 4 is a deep dive ... to 100 feet. Prior to the dive you'll have used the gas consumption measurements taken in dive 2 to calculate, based on the dive plan, how much gas you'll need. During the dive your instructor will suddenly experience an OOA, and you'll have to "rescue" him. This is your narc test ... I'm looking to see how much you're paying attention to what's going on around you when you're in a place where it's dark and your nitrogen intake is at its highest. Both divers are also expected to stay aware of what each other are doing while dealing with the "emergency" ... preferably by helping each other resolve it.

Dive 5 is a Search and Recovery. First you get to locate a lost object (a cinder block) and bring it to the surface using a lift bag. Then, from shore, you use a reel to locate a lost weight pouch. Once again, good buddy communication and an ability to work together to achieve the objective are taught and evaluated.

Dive 6 ... final exam ... we do a series of mid-water navigation dives. This tests your ability to maintain buoyancy control and buddy awareness ... swimming at a constant depth while navigating a pattern. One buddy gets the compass, the other gets the depth gauge and bottom timer. In order to complete the exercise, you must work together ... one buddy determining direction while the other keeps track of elapsed time and depth. The purpose of this dive isn't navigation ... that's just for task-loading ... it's to train you how to maintain an awareness of what you're doing when task-loaded ... because if you're ever in a situation where things go wrong on a dive, that's exactly what you'll need to do.

I have been teaching this class now for coming up on eight years, and have had students come to Seattle from as far away as Minnesota and Colorado to take it. Seems silly that someone would travel that far to take an AOW class ... but what does that say, really, about a need for an AOW class with more meat to it? I've yet to hear of a student coming out of this class feeling like they didn't get their money's worth ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wouldnt waste time doing all the specialties that organizations have unless there is something that is very interesting to you. PADI likes to make anything a specialty just to get the money for the certificaiton card. NAUI has a very good AOW were they group the necessary skills into one class that consists of 6 dives. I also advise doing the AOW course soon after your open water just so you dont learn bad habits and then try to change them when you take the course later

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom