Apeks DST XTX50 and XTX40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The routing is better on DST (turret + fifth port which DS4 does not have).
I have both and did not find the the turret and the 5th port offer better routing for rec dive than DS4. Same set up since 1998. I use the DST on deco tank and the turret does make the routing better.

I have both and did not find the the turret and the 5th port offer better routing for rec dive than DS4. Same set up since 1998. I use the DST on deco tank and the turret does make the routing better.

Do you dive with a primary long hose?

The occasional odd time I do dive single tank I use a DST and route my hoses like this BP/W STA and Regulator Port Orientation - How do you have your set up?

only difference is I use an elbow on my short hose and is probably more like 20'ish inches long I found the standard 24" is a little long makes for a big hula hoop coming off the side of your head.

singlefront-jpg.486523.jpg

The long hose has better routing with a fifth port as it goes down from the start, instead of having to curve down.
And then others feel that the advantage is, if you actually have to donate, the turret swivels preventing a sharp right angle bend when the receiver yanks on the hose, or you're heading through a restriction single file. In other words, you're not using the end port for the long hose.

And then others feel that the advantage is, if you actually have to donate, the turret swivels preventing a sharp right angle bend when the receiver yanks on the hose, or you're heading through a restriction single file. In other words, you're not using the end port for the long hose.

Is it worth, as donating is the exception and not the rule (specially heading through a restriction single file in recreational diving)?
I understand that with a turret and not on the fifth port, the hose is less bent while donating, but it would be more bent to go under the arm while its owner is breathing from it.

Disclaimer: I dive an FSR (so no turret), with a similar hose setup as @marsh9077 posted.

I understand that with a turret and not on the fifth port, the hose is straight while donating, but it would be bent to go under the arm while its owner is breathing from it.
Good question. In doubles, at least, the first stage is close to horizontal, so the long hose still routes down under your arm. Of course, there's a second first stage, so the octo gets optimal routing, too.
I have no argument with using the fifth port for the long hose in single tank. You have pointed out the precise risk/reward question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom