Apeks warranty??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3sportbob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read or heard somewhere that if you switch to miflex hoses on your APEKS regs you void the warranty.

Is this true?

Why would they care what hose you use?

Maybe I'll just pull the hoses when the regs need servicing. When I do the switch that is.

I seriously doubt that Apeks cares what hoses you use. However, the warranty is clear that any modification to the regulator voids the warranty. As to whether changing hoses is a 'modification', who knows?

"This warranty does not apply to units subject to misuse, abuse, neglect, modification, or unauthorized service."

I would imagine that EVERY warranty disclaims 'modifications'. I'd just switch the hoses if I every needed warranty service. Of course, if I ever needed warranty service on a regulator, I would be looking for a different brand.

Richard

I've never heard that before, but I did have one dive shop I used to frequent (before it went out of business about 3 yrs ago) that was an Apeks dealer, among other brands, and they were very touchy about warranty work on regs that had been modified in any way (I had modified my regs with things like shut off restrictors on the octo, LP port adapters/splitters) and I do remember getting a bit of pushback/raised eyebrows about my gear, so it wouldn't totally surprise me if that WERE true, they either want to keep your $ within Apeks by only buying Apeks hoses in future, or they're excessively lawsuit paranoid, but I wonder about this scenario: what if you'd bought the MIFLEX from your LDS and had your dealer install the MIFLEX, would that make any difference to the warranty coverage?

Aqualung/Apeks supplies a Miflex type hose as standard on the Mikron reg. Whether it is sourced from the same mfg. as Miflex, I don't know, but what kind of feeble excuse could they give for not using a miflex hose on their regs?

Aqualung/Apeks supplies a Miflex type hose as standard on the Mikron reg. Whether it is sourced from the same mfg. as Miflex, I don't know, but what kind of feeble excuse could they give for not using a miflex hose on their regs?

yeah, but it's MIFLEX on only the primary 2nd stage, not the octo or the BC hose or the HP hose, also strictly speaking he's talking about an Apeks warranty issue and Mikron is Aqualung, yeah I know it's nitpicky, and I'm not defending it, just sayin'.

I hoping that I won't need any warranty work but they will need servicing and I don't want any questions raised if you know what I mean. I will ask my shop about it next time I'm in there and see if they would have any issue with it. I guess if they do I'll either start doing the service myself or take the miflex off when the regs are brought into the store.

I'm pretty sure that warranty applies to the regs themselves, and not to the hoses, air integrated computers, , or BC LP inflators attached to the regs.

If the Apeks warranty is voided by using non-Apeks-branded hoses...then I'll sell my Apeks reg ASAP. That would be a ridiculous policy. I could never see a manufacturer placing such restrictions on their warranty. I really like my Apeks regs, and I'd hate to give them up.

I recently replaced my original Apeks hose on my ATX100 with a Miflex hose. I did have to use a thin open-ended wrench in order to tighten the LP hose-second stage junction. After reading the above link, I find it somewhat amusing that the statement blames the Miflex hose for the design issues...when, in reality, the design of the Miflex "swivel" is the same as any other non-Apeks-branded hose.The issue lies with the design of the Apeks Heat Exchanger (part# AP5013) that locks the valve spindle in place on the second stage. The six-sided nut area is thin...for no good reason really. Mating it with a Miflex hose demands use of a thinner-than-usual wrench. Torque for this junction should be 5 N-m or about 40 in-lbs. Most people I know do not use a torque wrench on this junction and usually just snug it up a little beyond finger-tight. If this is how you are doing it, you should always use two wrenches to tighten the LP hose-second stage union since using only one may over-tighten the Heat Exchanger nut into the second stage, causing the plastic housing to crack. More specifically, you would use a regular thickness wrench on the Miflex hose side and the thin wrench to hold the Heat Exchanger/Lock nut in place. FYI, the torque spec for the Heat Exchanger into the second stage is 45 in-lbs.

If the Apeks warranty is voided by using non-Apeks-branded hoses...then I'll sell my Apeks reg ASAP. That would be a ridiculous policy. I could never see a manufacturer placing such restrictions on their warranty. I really like my Apeks regs, and I'd hate to give them up.

I recently replaced my original Apeks hose on my ATX100 with a Miflex hose. I did have to use a thin open-ended wrench in order to tighten the LP hose-second stage junction. After reading the above link, I find it somewhat amusing that the statement blames the Miflex hose for the design issues...when, in reality, the design of the Miflex "swivel" is the same as any other non-Apeks-branded hose.The issue lies with the design of the Apeks Heat Exchanger (part# AP5013) that locks the valve spindle in place on the second stage. The six-sided nut area is thin...for no good reason really. Mating it with a Miflex hose demands use of a thinner-than-usual wrench. Torque for this junction should be 5 N-m or about 40 in-lbs. Most people I know do not use a torque wrench on this junction and usually just snug it up a little beyond finger-tight. If this is how you are doing it, you should always use two wrenches to tighten the LP hose-second stage union since using only one may over-tighten the Heat Exchanger nut into the second stage, causing the plastic housing to crack. More specifically, you would use a regular thickness wrench on the Miflex hose side and the thin wrench to hold the Heat Exchanger/Lock nut in place. FYI, the torque spec for the Heat Exchanger into the second stage is 45 in-lbs.

Feel exactly the same way. I'v just replaced the original hose on an XTX 50 for a 44" miflex. The story with the "thinner than usual wrench" demands, is just thin.

Back
Top Bottom