Apex XTX50 and XTX40 - which first stage to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most significant difference among the regs is
1) turret vs no turret
2) replaceable high pressure orifice vs its being part of the reg body.

The US4/DS4 (sealed vs unsealed) both have the volcano permanently part of the body. If a technician scratches it during one of your services over the years, the reg will leak.

An FSR has a replaceable orifice, and its lifetime is forever if you need to replace that part. But no turret.

If you want a turret and a replaceable orifice, you're looking at something other than what's listed.

In my opinion DST with a 5th. port is the most versatile of all of them. It doesn't have a replaceable orifice but you would have to be pretty ham-fisted to scratch it as it is not that accessible and there is no need to approach it with anything sharp.

It doesn't have a replaceable orifice but you would have to be pretty ham-fisted to scratch it as it is not that accessible and there is no need to approach it with anything sharp.
Here's one of the milder episodes of technician mishandling in a leaking reg.
20170404_163610.jpg

And it doesn't have to be a scratch. Sandblasting from steel tank oxides can damage the edge of the volcano where HP air races around the corner.
Screenshot_20181031-114723_Gallery.jpg

You can polish it, but it's a challenge and 90% of shops don't know how.
20140821_120317.jpg

If I am buying used Apeks 1st stage I would insist to look at the orifice. FSR, I believe, is the only comes in with ARCAP which is replaceable. I also believe there is a tool produced by Apeks to polish the orifice.
Technician can ruin the equipment but that is another story.

XTX50 is usually paired with DS4 or DST while UST is usually with the 20 or 40 series.
Would the turret make the routing any better than non-turret? NOT to my own experience as I have a DST others might have different idea/experience.
Cold water is below 10C
I have US1, US4, DS4, DST and FSR and to be honest I could not find any difference in breathing.

US4/UST with XTX50/40 is good enough if not diving in cold water but please rinse that opening at the bottom to the spring inside the 1st stage after every dive. If that is too much of a hassle then get a DS4.
2HP ports are only useful if you are using transmitter + spg.

Same DS4 + TX50 my work horse for the last 20+ yrs.

Would the turret make the routing any better than non-turret? NOT to my own experience as I have a DST others might have different idea/experience.

For a single tank diver with conventional secondary donate (i.e. “octo”), I doubt that there would be any real difference in hose routing at all, for any of the Apeks firsts. The only time it comes into play is in very different configurations: when you are using manifolded doubles (which require hoses to crisscross oddly), with long hose donate (the out of air diver goes in front of you which creates a nasty and risky 180 degree bend, alleviated by the swivel turret), or side mount (which is kind of both problems combined! :) ).

If you are never going to be anything but a conventional single tank diver (and by “never“ read “in the next five years”), then my recommendation would be to either buy the cheapest one; the environmentally sealed one; or the one with the replaceable orifice, depending on other details of your diving or tolerance for technician servicing risk.

Not for nothing, my personal set of regulators are clones of the DST. I am a back mount doubles diver with long hose who dives in 1°C water, so the combination of swivel and environmental sealing are the best for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom