Apex XTX50 DS4 vs Scubapro MK17/G250V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

woody143

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Deciding between the two. Looking for input from people who have used either one or both. I live in NJ so a cold water reg with environmently sealed is a must for me.

Last edited:
Deciding between the two. Looking for input from people who have used either one or both. I live in NJ so a cold water reg with environmently sealed is a must for me.

I've used both and service both. Both are fine regulators, both will give years of reliable high performance service. Choosing between one or the other is a pretty fine hair split that will ultimately depend on YOUR criteria, not mine. So, what are your criteria? How cold do you need them to be able to withstand - there's a difference between NJ ocean diving and NJ pond diving, ain't there? Which one has better local service? Are you going to use it as a travel reg, if so, is service available where you'll be going? Do flow rates matter to you? TCO? Paperwork hassles? Bitchin' design?

Once you know what is important to you in a regulator it's easier to know which regulator.

I have both and use them actively. This past weekend I chose to use my MK25's (pistons) instead of the MK17 just to put them to the coldwater test. No freeflows no problems. Water temp 38F. You don't have to worry about anything on either models you stated . Just do your part for annual service. In cold weather (below 40-45 degrees ) practice breathing discipline by only breathing when the 1st and 2nd stage are submerged (although I proved that wrong in a test a couple weeks back) . But it doesn't hurt to mind that rule.
My only complaint about the XTX50 second stage is that when reassembling after servicing , when you tighten the tube to the box the lever rotates some causing only one leg of the lever to touch the diaphragm. To me it's just sloppy manufacturing and agrivates me so I bought 6 G250V's to satisfy myself.
All in all though they both have outstanding performance and reliability.

Thanks Reefraff. You made my decision much easier. What are some thoughts on octopus, specifically brand? If I go Apeks, they have the XTX20 and 40. If I like the features of my primary, I guess it wouldn't be such a bad idea to stick with same manufacturer octopus, correct?

Thanks Reefraff. You made my decision much easier. What are some thoughts on octopus, specifically brand? If I go Apeks, they have the XTX20 and 40. If I like the features of my primary, I guess it wouldn't be such a bad idea to stick with same manufacturer octopus, correct?

My general thoughts on regulators are:
  • buy the best you can afford, you're worth it, and;
  • the most expensive is never the best, duh, and;
  • your octo and your primary should be identical, this avoids problems with inferior performance and unfamiliarity when the excrement starts flying, and;
  • donate your primary/bungee your alternate, it's what all the cool kids do, and;
  • pistons don't belong in water below 50F, the ambient chamber issues in pistons may or may not cause a freeflow but why take the chance, and;
  • rinse the unit like your life depends on it after every salt water dive, it does, and;
  • service your regulators every year or 100 dives, whichever comes first, and;
  • regulators that don't get used at least 100 times a year tend to become petulant and persnickety. Or maybe it's their owners...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom