Aqualung Axiom and ProHD comparison questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm beginning some preliminary research on the Aqualung Axiom and ProHD in anticipation of a possible purchase. I dove with someone who had an Axiom last week, and one of my dive buddies has the ProHD's predecessor, the ProQD, although in the i3 configuration (which I'm not interested in). So I have seen both, but have not been able to do a side by side comparison.

I like the idea of the Wrapture, as I have a bad back, although it rarely bothers me while diving. The GripLock is a nice to have, not a need to have. The Axiom looks more streamlined, similar to my current Pacifica. It also has the pivoting shoulder strap buckles, for what that may be worth. The list price difference is $100, I'm guessing street price difference will be the same. I will buy from my LDS, regardless of the price.

For those of you who purchased either, did you look at both, and if so, what made you decide on one over the other?

I recently bought the ProHD, and retiring my 10 years old ProQD+. I chose the ProHD because it is much lighter dry weight than ProQD+, which is important in nowaday's tight airline baggage regulation.

I have not tested the ProHD yet and it will be until September this year.

We looked at both for my wife and she chose the ProHD. Like ^^^ stated, the HD was lighter and we will be doing quite a bit of traveling with ours.

I have the Axiom with Airsource 3 and it's very comfy, and I do a lot of beach diving so I walk in it a lot. I did add a crotch strap to it as with no cummerbund it tends to ride up on me. I also added some pin mounts to the inside of the pockets to keep stuff from floating away. The buckle (vs cam strap) for holding the tank is my favorite feature, allows for tank changes w/o lifting the whole rig over the tank :)

Good luck with your purchase.

I have the Dimension i3, the back inflate version and the harness system was the selling point for me. I have back issues at times, and the harness is much more comfortable. It distributes the weight better than traditional systems in my opinion, I was diving the Pro LT jacket previously. I couldn't imagine using the old jacket again.

We are now using the ProHD in our rental fleet, and I have been using one of them on our charter dives. The HD is a very well appointed and designed jacket BC. I personally do not like the I3 on any of the AL BCs. The inflator device is subject to problems, most if not all the result of lack of proper user maintenance. I would recommend the HD to anyone looking for a good solid jacket BC. My recommendation for a back inflate would be the AquaLung Balance. I handle more than 3000 sets of gear a year during chapter trips, IMO Aqualung gear exhibits much fewer problems, and provides the best bang for the buck( design, price, service and warranty).

It's the Axiom (non I3) for me. I take it with me everywhere as I'm more comfortable in my own gear and the BC is critical to this. Between the Wrapture, Griplock and overall comfort, I couldn't go past it and have enjoyed diving in it every time.

I bought the Dimension i3 and absolutely love it.

I have an axiom and it is the most comfortable BC to walk in and dive in that I have tried. Mine has an I3 but I also added a standard inflator. I like and use both systems.

Back
Top Bottom