Aqualung Legend LX or Atomic ST1 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone. New to the board but love it so far.
My wife is getting my 4 year old Legend LX ACD and I'm looking to get a new Reg :D
Loved the legend but really did not have anything to compare it to as it was my first Reg. We dive warm water 99% of the time. Coldest water will prob be in Galapagos in a few years for a bucket list trip.
Both seem to be great regs but any details/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Both are good choices, the Legend is a great regulator, I own two of them and could not be happier, though I have though about selling them to pickup a pair of ST1 but have a hard time justifying it. since the legends breath great, are well maintained and paid for. my only criticism is the weight of the 1st stage, but other than for traveling this is hardly noticeable.

the new 2012 legend is very similar to the last generation, with a few differences, though I could not tell a performance difference.

though the Atomic is Pretty sweet, no corrosion, super strong and surprisingly lightweight, and 2 year/300dive service intervals, though you pay for parts unlike the Aqualung...

I would flip a coin because they are both top end regulators and I doubt you will be disappointed with either.

Can you get them both serviced at the same place? Seeing how your wife will be using an Aqualung product and you might be using an Atomic my only issue would be having to drive to different places for servicing them.

My LDS is auth for both AL and Atomic. Any idea on the difference in service cost between the 2? I'm not going to worry about $20 diff per service but if parts etc are $100 diff each time, that would be a factor.

Service should be a wash, with atomic you pay for parts but do it half as often, aqualung parts are free but have it serviced every year (if original owner).

Service should be a wash, with atomic you pay for parts but do it half as often, aqualung parts are free but have it serviced every year (if original owner).

Actually Aqua Lung has a rotating service plan to maintain the warranty, First year is an inspection/adjustments (unless inspection reveals usage or a need to service) second year is a full service.

What if you buy the Atomic and your wife likes it more :)

Can you give us some background on why you're looking at these two regs? Aside from being two of the more expensive regs on the market, there are several regulators on the market that would perform equally well (or better) for a lot less money. Some people like having the status symbol, which is fine - but I wonder if you're just doing pedestrian diving, why you'd look exclusively at these two?

I told her my gold legend was top of the line just 2 years ago. Don't all women like shiny gold stuff!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom