Aqualung Legend LX or Atomic ST1 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Aqua Lung has a rotating service plan to maintain the warranty, First year is an inspection/adjustments (unless inspection reveals usage or a need to service) second year is a full service.

True, though it depends how much they charge for the inspection & Tune, most places I know its the same cost as a rebuild as they tear it down completely thus the same amount of work is involved.

It is location dependent. Here where I live, reg service cost is dominated by labor, so I will take bi annual service pay for parts over annual service with free part. The total cost turns out to be the same but my reg has half the down time.

I live in Houston and you can get any reg serviced you want for the same price + service kit so get what you want.

Don't fall into the yearly maintenance stuff because nobody tracks it or cares after a while.
-legend, its a nice first reg, pass it on.. good move.
-Atomic, they are great if you get the sealed one which bumps up maint. cost $100 for lube in the chamber. I'd get the M1 if I was to get atomic which you'll likely have to order. Personally I hate the hose routing.

Have a look at Zeagle before you make your final choice.
-Zeagle FH7, environmentally sealed, light, conical seat, american made, cheap available parts, awesome hose routing.

-Atomic, they are great if you get the sealed one which bumps up maint. cost $100 for lube in the chamber. I'd get the M1 if I was to get atomic which you'll likely have to order. Personally I hate the hose routing.

Either you got ripped, or my LDSs give very good price, not just one shop, all the shops here charge much much less. If I tell you, you will hate me.

True, though it depends how much they charge for the inspection & Tune, most places I know its the same cost as a rebuild as they tear it down completely thus the same amount of work is involved.

Sorry to hear that, an inspection shouldn't require a tear down. When I do the inspection I charge $10 for a flow test, inspection, and adjustment.

Either you got ripped, or my LDSs give very good price, not just one shop, all the shops here charge much much less. If I tell you, you will hate me.

yep.. actually about $45 for 2oz tribolube. Usual is $25 a stage + parts (~60) + lube. If you dont have the atomic enviroseal you'll need to get that as well, and the tech should have the special tool which actually requires a little extra lube to pack... so it can get costly. Likely around ~150 I imagine if you get somebody to do it all for you.

Atomics are expensive to seal, and just plain nasty to clean it out when its time.

Can you give us some background on why you're looking at these two regs? Aside from being two of the more expensive regs on the market, there are several regulators on the market that would perform equally well (or better) for a lot less money. Some people like having the status symbol, which is fine - but I wonder if you're just doing pedestrian diving, why you'd look exclusively at these two?

Dude you bought one of the most expensive computers out there and it does have all the feature that would put it at that cost level. To you cheap out on the regulator the sold it to some new diver thinking he got a deal. How can you make an opinion on equipment when you are all over the place and break your own guidelines.

On the original question you can't go wrong with either regulator but if you different ones you know whose is whose.

I've had the ST1 for a year and half now. Compared to my old Oceanic Delta 2 it breathes much better. It has a 2 year maint interval, comes sealed and is made of hard metal. It breathes well especially in deeper dives. In shallow water the cracking pressure feels a little stepped.

The cons: the second stage seat saver requires pressurization when soaking and care not to get water in. The adjustment knob has only a small effect on cracking pressure. It has an auto venturi and you have to be careful when taking out of mouth in water to hold the mouthpiece down and turn down the knob to avoid free flow. You can lose air very fast in a free flow.

We've got our AOW/Nitrox cert but we are strickly recreational divers. No crazy tech dives and I have not much interest in getting into that sort of thing.
99% of our dives are warm water. Places like Key West, Bonaire, Caymen Islands, Cozumel and Cabo. Last year we went to the Maldives but that was a once in a lifetime trip.
We are lucky in Houston as we have numerous LDS that service equip. LDS supports both but the mgr says he is more comfortable servicing AL.
As far as getting the top of the line stuff, I generally buy the best stuff avail and only buy it once. Same thing with my golf clubs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom