Aqualung Legend LX problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u4ia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK this is my first thread I am starting so dont be too cruel!!! :wink: Sorry the following post got a bit long-ish.

I purchased an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme a couple of months ago and recently having issues with it that so far have not been resolved by my LDS or Aqualung. Thoughts appreciated:

About a month ago I noticed it would start to bubble at depth of about 50-60 ffw, water temp around 55F, no current. It was a gentle but steady bloop bloop bloop, not an all out blasting freeflow, quite annoying. This would resolve if I swam shallower than 50 feet, or if I turned the 2nd stage adjustment knob all the way in – then it would breathe like a pig, but no bubbles. On the surface I took the 2nd stage apart and made sure there was no sand or debris, washed it out, etc, still no fix. (I wash my stuff off after every dive and this reg hasn’t yet been used in seawater). I was out of town diving and I took it to a reputable shop (not my regular LDS) and they adjusted it (the cracking pressure was too high I was told). The reg breathed SO much better, but it still did the bubbling thing. I took it to my regular LDS, the one I bought it from. They did not find any IP creep, and they made sure the 2nd stage was not full of sand etc, and adjusted the 2nd stage somehow. No fix. Brought it back to LDS and the tech calls Aqualung, they tell him to adjust the IP down from 135 to 127 and tell him to instruct me to keep the vane adjustment on negative position even while diving (!!) I am getting kind of annoyed and think this sounds like BS, so what is the point of having the adjustment if you cant use it?? anyway I gave it a try-- had it down to 70 ffw this weekend, vane in negative position, still bubbles very annoyingly (and will actively freeflow if I take it out of my mouth) -unless I keep the adjustment knob all the way in. Even with the adjustment all the way in, if I have the reg out of my mouth and move it gently back and forth it will start to freeflow. Now it is back in the shop and he says he will call Aqualung again today. I want him to just take it apart and replace whatever needs replacing, but as I am not a tech, I wouldn’t know what that would be!

Unfortunately my LDS hasn’t sold or worked on many Legends (mostly he sells the Titans --I don’t know if there is a big difference). I don’t have the luxury of multiple dive shops where I am so taking it somewhere else is not really an option. I would like to get this resolved and if there is a defective part it should be fixed. Has anyone else had a problem like this with the Legend? Should I be asking for something specific on the reg to be looked at/fixed? I am trying to inform myself a bit better.

I'm really reaching here but it could be an air bubble in one of the rubber seals (o-ring or seat). A small defect that seals OK on the surface but fails when compressed at depth. Ask them to replace all rubber parts exposed to IP. If they balk (or if that doesn't work), ask them to give you a new 2nd stage so you can go dive and they can work out this "lemon" with Aqualung.

Aqualung does have a 30 day satisfaction guarentee, so AWAP's suggestion of them giving you a new 2nd stage is not an unreasonable request. (see http://www.aqualung.com/product_warranties_b.html)

The IP of 127 to 135 shouldn't be a problem either. I think mine is set to something more like 150psi and I have no problems. The Legend LX Supreme, which is the exact same reg, but IP set to 135 at the factory, would also show that 135 is OK.

Seems like you've got got a "lemon". Again, use the above guarentee to get a new one. If it's been past 30 days, as long as you have reported the original problem withing 30 days, they should honor it (in my opinion).

Yep, that's a lemon. One guess, the second stage poppet valve spring is the wrong rate. Second guess, the poppet seat is too hard. Third guess, similar to above, a bad O ring is causing the 2nd stage balance chamber to malfunction; at least, I believe that mod is balanced. Fourth guess, the poppet orifice has a defective surface contour.

by lemon do you mean the second stage is not fixable? or assuming that it has one of these defects but can be repaired?

unfortunately I think my 30 days is long gone, I will have to check my receipts, but I am pretty sure I got in late June early July and this issue didnt come to light until late August.

the other piece of information that I thought of is that the octo (I have the Legend octo) breathes fine and doesnt bubble or freeflow. I know octo's are normally "detuned" but the thing breathes easier then my primary 2nd stage.

The "bloop-bloop-bloop" at depth is a common problem with regs that increase IP with depth (as the Legend does) - if they're not properly adjusted.
However...
When properly adjusted, Legends should breathe effortlessly and not freeflow at any diving depth. Indeed, when they're right they're the sweetest breathers on the market. Yours doesn't sound like an adjustment problem, but rather you have a bad part in that reg - most likely a ding in a seat or a bad spring. I'd do a bi-annual rebuild on both stages (replaces the soft parts), and if that doesn't solve it, ship it to AL for warranty replacement. This is not the 30 day deal - if it's defective, and it sure sounds like it, they're obligated to fix or replace it under warranty.
By the way, whoever advised you that you should be expected to dive with the reg in "-" and with the IP out of spec to compensate for the defect is way off base - and needs to be told flat out that "no, I paid for a reg that has all the benefits and performance of a Legend. This one doesn't. Either fix it, replace it, or give me my money back."
Rick

I dont have advise for you but my Legends started the exact same thing after having them serviced. I sent them back many times and was told there was nothing wrong and they just turned the pressures down for me--should help out. I still have the problems and just lived with it for a year, they are at another shop now and I will let you know what if anything fixed them when I get them back. Good luck

Yeah Rick that is what I thought about the advice to keep it in the negative position-- but the most shocking thing about that is that is what someone from AQUALUNG told my LDS to tell ME!!!! :11:

now I am getting upset thinking I have a defective regulator that they are being wishy-washy about fixing or replacing in a prompt manner! grrr. I am planning to go do some cold water diving in current in a few weeks and I want this resolved before I take it into that environment. when my LDS reopens tomorrow I am gonna blow a fuse if I get some lame story about how its my fault for touching some knob or lever!!!

oh yeah, and aqualung also gave the advice to lower the IP to 127 which i assume is below spec. anyone from aqualung reading this thread? I would like to hear what they think of all this.

What does Aqualung think? Quiet all, I'm reading their mind: they say, "bloop, bloop, bloop".

Back
Top Bottom