Aqualung Legend LX problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3ddiver:
I have tried to find out what the repair shop found but they dont seem to want to give up that info.:confused: The main thing is they are fixed but I sure would like to know why.

Why do you think they would not be forthright about the underlying ptroblem? Arrogance or something to hide?

I had a leaking 2nd stage that was in and out of the shop many times. Turned out the problem was in the 1st stage. I found this out after switching 2nd stages and the new 2nd stage still leaked. With this new information the dive shop was able to fix it.

SteveC:
I had a leaking 2nd stage that was in and out of the shop many times. Turned out the problem was in the 1st stage. I found this out after switching 2nd stages and the new 2nd stage still leaked. With this new information the dive shop was able to fix it.

I suggest you find another dive shop.

awap:
Why do you think they would not be forthright about the underlying problem? Arrogance or something to hide?

Or could be they just took it apart put it back together and it magically started working correctly . . .

jhbryaniv:
Or could be they just took it apart put it back together and it magically started working correctly . . .
That's a little scary. I'd put it in the something to hide category.

"Why do you think they would not be forthright about the underlying problem? Arrogance or something to hide?"

I am not sure. I dont believe it just magically started working because it had been other places and could not be repaired. I do not have a shop in town so the shop is out of town and they send it out also. I dont know if it is communication breakdown or just too much "work" for them to find out. I know they did not replace the first or second stages, they were repaired.

awap:
Why do you think they would not be forthright about the underlying problem? Arrogance or something to hide?
Neither. My bet is that they just overhauled the reg and that took care of the problem - that is, no detailed troubleshooting and therefore no pinpointed problem to discuss. This isn't a "shortcut" or "secrecy" or "something to hide." It is, rather, economics - the overhaul kit is cheap; detailed troubleshooting is expensive, and usually unnecessary. A tiny (undetectable with the naked eye) ding in a seat or o-ring is usually the problem and it's a whole lot cheaper to replace 'em all at once than one at the time until you pinpoint which one's the problem.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Neither. My bet is that they just overhauled the reg and that took care of the problem - that is, no detailed troubleshooting and therefore no pinpointed problem to discuss. This isn't a "shortcut" or "secrecy" or "something to hide." It is, rather, economics - the overhaul kit is cheap; detailed troubleshooting is expensive, and usually unnecessary. A tiny (undetectable with the naked eye) ding in a seat or o-ring is usually the problem and it's a whole lot cheaper to replace 'em all at once than one at the time until you pinpoint which one's the problem.
Rick

Unfortunately, it is quite possible that the mfgr service facility did nothing more than what any good LDS should have been able to do. But with such an odd failure mode (FF only at depth) I expected the mfgr to want to understand the underlying cause of the failure rather than just put the problem behind them. That is one way defects are corrected and designs are improved.

I'm still waiting for my regs to be returned...
I would also agree it is preferable for AL to know the cause of this obviously 'not so rare' problem so it could be avoided in future designs if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom