Aqualung Legend LX problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 4 of these regs and they are the best breathing reg that I have ever dived. I would say that the sprint is not correctly set and I base that on a self diagnosis that I did once and my reg had the same issue for two dives after. I took it in and my LDS fixed it right up. I know its a stretch but if you can ship it to a shop that knows what they are doing. This is a good reg.

Additionally I find it hard to believe that Aqualung would not do something as I have called them twice once on a special offer and the second on a rush replacement and they were great on both.

I agree that the Legend breathes great, and in a wide variety of demanding situations. I can also say that about other brands of regs I have tried and certainly not about others. There are many nice breathing regs out there. Funny thing is I had a high end Scubapro rented to me last weekend and I had problems with that (I know it was also tuned up just before I took it out): inspiratory effort was very high at depth and it also had adjustment issues where it would start to freeflow, so I had to balance between harder breathing effort and freeflow. so my point is, no regulator is immune to problems. I am sure that the Scubapro will breathe fine once its fixed, just like my Legend.

on another note, my LDS has been inexplicably closed the last few days, so I called AL to see where my reg is. Unfortunately they just received it 2 days ago!! I guess it will be awhile before I get it back. good thing its not midsummer!

I just called my LDS, and he says he finally spoke to AL and they have repaired my second stage. I havent gotten it back yet, but they told him that the "spoon height was set too high" in the second stage and it has been reset and now works fine according to their tests or some machine they use to apparently test it at simulated depth. What the heck is a spoon and does anybody know if this makes any sense??

u4ia:
I just called my LDS, and he says he finally spoke to AL and they have repaired my second stage. I havent gotten it back yet, but they told him that the "spoon height was set too high" in the second stage and it has been reset and now works fine according to their tests or some machine they use to apparently test it at simulated depth. What the heck is a spoon and does anybody know if this makes any sense??

The spoon height is actually the lever height. Spoon is just another common name for lever. The lever height needs to be set just right to get the rubber seat to set right for the proper seal. If it wasn't set right, this would explain why you had some bubbles coming from your 2nd stage.

Spoon height? Like I believe that one! Any dive shop could have spotted it. A crisis over the lever adjustment, arghhh. Why was a new regulator out of adjustment? Hello.

pescador775:
Spoon height? Like I believe that one! Any dive shop could have spotted it. A crisis over the lever adjustment, arghhh. Why was a new regulator out of adjustment? Hello.

Yeah... his LDS should have caught that. (but he said they havent' sold or worked on many Legends).

If they'd just looked at the Aqualung tech manual, it's the fix that Aqualung did was listed as one of the items to check. (see below).

According to the 2nd Stage manual, 2nd stage leakage could be caused by (pg 12)
1. high first stage intermiedate pressure.
2. LP Seat damaged or worn (replace LP seat).
3. Crown adjusted incorrectly, lever set too high. (reset needed)
4. Lever (25) bent. (replace lever)
5. Crown sealing surface damaged. (replace crown)
6. Poppet spring damaged. (replace spring).

Rick is on to it. I'd bet on a bad 1st stage seat.

Wouldnt a bad first stage seat also cause problems for my other (octo) second stage? that one always breathed great, even at depth and never freeflowed on me.

Its kinda discouraging that I had to send the thing clear across the country and dive with a crappy rental regulator for over a month for something that appears to be straightforward fix and right there on AL's troubleshooting list! sheesh.

u4ia:
Wouldnt a bad first stage seat also cause problems for my other (octo) second stage? that one always breathed great, even at depth and never freeflowed on me.

Its kinda discouraging that I had to send the thing clear across the country and dive with a crappy rental regulator for over a month for something that appears to be straightforward fix and right there on AL's troubleshooting list! sheesh.
Depends on the second stages and how they're set. If the the 1st is weeping a little air past the seat and the 2nd is acting as an overpressure relief, the octo might well not be effected at all. First Stage seat, still my best guess. Take the 2nd state off and put the plug in. If the octo starts to missbehave in a few minutes, you'll know I guessed right.

Back
Top Bottom