Aqualung Octo Help…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By best I mean the one that makes the most sense. Ive read that if you put on a different octo from the legend on the Legend first stage you can have issues with free flow... I Guess in a nut shell im just trying to figure out if I just go for the Legend LX octo or is there better choice - or is there a less expensive choice that will be as equally suitable.
What you've read is a misstatment.
The key to free flows is a combination of the Intermediate Pressure (IP) from the first stage, and the cracking pressure of the octo. Too high an IP, and the octo will free flow. Octo adjusted wrong or a bad seat and it will free flow.

The IP is usually around 140 psi, plus or minus about 5 psi.
Almost ALL first and second stages can work with each other if they both adjusted correctly. Honestly, buying an AquaLung octo new is not a guarantee that it is adjusted correctly, and getting something back from service is especially not a guarantee. This is one reason not to get the cheapest octo; one with an adjustable cracking pressure allows you to match things better with no special tools and knowledge.

Again, there is no need to brand-match, other than personal aesthetics. Save money by buying yoru octo used, just be aware it may need adjustment, or even service.

It sounds like you don't believe any of this, and really want to buy a new AqualLung octo, and just want to be assured it is not a dumb thing to do. Fine, but you'll spend more than you need to spend.

Tursiops - Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate your help on this topic. I do believe it, im just buying my own gear for the first time and want to get it right- I really appreciate the feedback though. I did read that it really all comes to IP with regs- Im just trying to prevent any issues and being new at buying gear, im apprehensive thats all. Ive actually been looking at some Cressi Octos that are like 100 bucks on amazon - They seem like workhorses and have a pre dive dive switch - Just considering it.

Keep an eye open for specials from the larger online shops, like:

Tursiops is correct in saying that just about any regulator can be adjusted to make a fine safe second. I just couldn't make that happen with the Atomic Z1 I bought for that purpose. The Legend worked fine out of the box so that's what I use. No user adjustable poppit but effective venturi control.
Brand matching is good when you have the set serviced to guarantee your shop has the expertise and parts available for all the components. Otherwise it's generally not a big deal.
I did, at one time, have a Cressi Octo and I can say it was the worst breathing second stage I ever had.

Keep an eye open for specials from the larger online shops, like:
Do you recommend all of these regs?

Do you recommend all of these regs?
I don't recommend, or not recommend, any of them. I'm just showing octos under $100 from the larger online shops. The OP was looking at Amazon; there are other sources.

Tursiops is correct in saying that just about any regulator can be adjusted to make a fine safe second. I just couldn't make that happen with the Atomic Z1 I bought for that purpose. The Legend worked fine out of the box so that's what I use. No user adjustable poppit but effective venturi control.
Brand matching is good when you have the set serviced to guarantee your shop has the expertise and parts available for all the components. Otherwise it's generally not a big deal.
I did, at one time, have a Cressi Octo and I can say it was the worst breathing second stage I ever had.
OK - Well that helps steer away from Cressi Octo - I'm going to try to stick with an Aqua Lung of some sort just for simplifying service. I'm also going to buy new as preowned plus the service does seem to make much financial sense.

I'd echo the sentiment of some others, about picking up the same brand of second stage as an octopus -- again, for the sake of simplifying the required annual or biannual servicing. I've known a few divers, over the years, who have gone the cheap-o route, only to be later told by shops, that they either didn't or wouldn't service some "tall-toad" bargain basement brand of second stage -- occasionally by the same LDS that originally sold them that crap, usually at some notorious annual sale, at prices soooo low.

Save yourself a headache.

When I began first diving, we didn't typically use octopuses; didn't even have one for the first decade or more; but when they became, well . . . fashionable, I really had little choice in terms of a second stage, since I was already diving a regulator, whose intended IP was then 12.5 bar (about 182 psi) -- and could really only be paired with the same model . . .

there are a few of them on the site besides this one if you want yellow....

When I began first diving, we didn't typically use octopuses; didn't even have one for the first decade or more; but when they became, well . . . fashionable,
Me too. Except they became required because they were safer than buddy-breathing from a single reg, not because it was fashionable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom