Aqualung Outlaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I forgot to add.... I also find the chest buckle to be a little higher than I prefer, but not too high to cause discomfort or safety issues. Again, snug the waist before the shoulders, and that may keep it from riding up too much. There is a lot of size overlap in the straps, so I'm confident you'll get setup well :wink:

Good luck!

They market this bcd to experienced divers...any reason why a beginner couldn't use it? If they buy the 25lbs lift and use it in warm waters only?

My boy just got his Junior OW last week-end in it. He was neutral at safety stop and needed no ditchable weight with an AL50. To demonstrate weight removal / replace, he unbuckled his empty weight belt and buckled it back on.

He has the small wing with no weight pockets. In salt, he will probably need 4lbs on a belt. The main shortcoming I see is that it needs a crotchstrap but I rigged one of those up pretty easily.

@ZzzKing,

Congrats on your son's Junior cert. I was a Junior cert., all of my kids were Junior certs, and my wife just missed being a Junior cert by a couple of years, although still managing to become certified while a teenager.

Best to start young and continue to dive throughout your life.

I have yet to see a commercial BCD that could only be used by "experienced" divers. Aqualung wants to sell as many as it can, to neophytes as well as mossbacks.

My boy just got his Junior OW last week-end in it. He was neutral at safety stop and needed no ditchable weight with an AL50. To demonstrate weight removal / replace, he unbuckled his empty weight belt and buckled it back on.

He has the small wing with no weight pockets. In salt, he will probably need 4lbs on a belt. The main shortcoming I see is that it needs a crotchstrap but I rigged one of those up pretty easily.
I found it essentially impossible to replace the SureLock weights on the Outlaw with the pouches so far back and vertical. For me, this would make remove and replace a futile exercise.

Has anyone out there done OW with an Outlaw and releasable weights?

I found it essentially impossible to replace the SureLock weights on the Outlaw with the pouches so far back and vertical. For me, this would make remove and replace a futile exercise.

FWIW, I just finished up a rescue class (preparing for when my daughter gets her junior OW) and used the outlaw in the pool sessions. I found it much easier to take the whole rig off in the water to add or remove weights.. Trying to insert the weight pockets in the water while wearing the outlaw is an exercise in futility.

My entire family uses belts. I didn’t even look at the weight pockets.

That is probably my only criticism of the Outlaw so far. I have been able to do it while wearing, but it's not as easy as it should be.

If it helps anyone, I was holding the weight portion by the velcro flap, not the plastic handle.

But again, still not any as it should be. I kind of accept that though... I don't expect to be replacing weight much in a real world situation. If I need to dump weight, I can, easily. But I likely wouldn't be replacing it in the same dive.

Would the placement of the weights on the Outlaw tend to make me less roll stable, compared to a BCD with front/side pouch placement? Maybe the closeness of the tank to my spine would help?

Would the placement of the weights on the Outlaw tend to make me less roll stable, compared to a BCD with front/side pouch placement? Maybe the closeness of the tank to my spine would help?
I found it very rolly, especially with more weight in the releasable pouches, even worse with any weight on the tank band. I wrote about this in an earlier post in this thread, see #83

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom