Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took the class the class last weekend and it was pretty neat I thought. I really enjoyed it. Even more than I expected.

But I think the environmentalists ruined it for everyone. Look how cool it was before. Space needle, Submarine, Sky Ride, Swimming Mermaides and pigs, and a Fancy Restaurant. Is there really a good reason to let those things rust in place?

A bunch of rusting metal to remind us of what we've lost and a few bones to try and make us think it's better. I am glad the glass bottom boats are still around and I'm glad for the Scuba program. But I know there have got to be more people who look at that sub and skyride and think "What a waste! I would have loved to bring my kids here!"

You know the state got it for a third of it's value. They could have refurbished that stuff and still made it an environmental site. They could have used it to raise money for all their causes. At least they could have removed the rusting metal.

Sorry I know it's not PC but I know I'm not alone.

I’m continually amused and annoyed by the Aquarena argument that seems to pop up here very few months. It always comes down to those who have not taken the time to understand the program complaining about it and those who have taken the time to understand the program defending it.

It’s quite simple – Spring Lake is not a Scuba Park, it’s not an amusement park, its not Lake Travis. It is first and foremost a State and Federally protected environmental and antiquities area. Everything else is secondary to the job of protecting and preserving the archeology and endangered species.

The fact that it used to be something else is irrelevant to the current mission of using the site to educate the public about the archeology and endangered species, and on top of that, the nature of the Edwards Aquifer system..

The run down condition of the park is due to the fact that ALL the money goes back into protecting the archeology and endangered species, and building the public infrastructure to support the education mission. Take the time to look around and ask some questions:

The rides and sub are rusting, but the boats and the wetland walk are in great shape.

The gift shop is run down, but have you seen the plans for the new visitor center at the headwaters? Why would you invest in the old building when they are saving to build the new one?

The dive area – the old show area - is run down. But why would they fix it when they just raised $60,000 to knock it down and replace it with a whole new dive facility?

As for diving in the lake – Diving in the lake is prohibited by State and Federal law. That’s a fact. What is permitted is the activity required to keep the lake and the springs clean and clear – again –t o support the education and protection mission. Diving just happens to be the skill required to maintain the springs. They make it very clear at the training – we are not volunteering to dive – we are volunteering to maintain the springs, and we happen to need to dive to do that.

As for the $220.00 – get real people – most of us drop that in a heartbeat on a new piece of fancy gear. At least some of us have dropped it on a worthy cease – not diving – but getting the education and certification required to be allowed to enter and work in an environment protected by the State Antiquities Act and the Federal Endangered Species Act. The fact that it’s underwater is just a bonus.

If you think Aquarena is being unreasonable, I suggest the next time you’re in a National Park, you try climbing a tree and messing around with a Bald Eagle Nest – I’m sure the park rangers will exhibit the same sense of protection that the Aquarena folks do.

The cost of learning is priceless! True, since the state took over the lake property- the quality of amusement park identities has tarnished over time. I was raised and lived in San Marcos from 1981-1998. I was always involved on the river and surrounding sites of interest- even worked for the restaurant (Peppers at the Falls) at the falls before it was Joes Crap Shack (interesting note- the restaraunt was owned by the same people that owned Aquarena Springs! and was sold to a corporate company that drove a good family thing into the ground)! Did many dives in the river and may have done alot of night dives (snuck in) to the Lake before the property was taken over by the State. As a diver back then (and a diver today)- I respect the place- as it is a part of me (I will always consider San Marcos my home!). One day, I will return home and take that course and would find it an honor to take part in tending the needs that surround the site and legally diving in the lake is a bonus too:D !

Most people must not mind the price - I have tried to sign up a few times on a whim (was in the area for a weekend) and both times the class was full.

bogrady:
..... and messing around with a Bald Eagle Nest – I’m sure the park rangers will exhibit the same sense of protection that the Aquarena folks do.

I'd be more worried about the returning mama eagle......than the park rangers....:wink:

In a way I do miss the Aquarena of old....Ralph, the mermaids, cable cars, etc....I wish the old hotel was still a hotel....great place to stay for the weekend.

Joe-Diver:
I'd be more worried about the returning mama eagle......than the park rangers....:wink:

In a way I do miss the Aquarena of old....Ralph, the mermaids, cable cars, etc....I wish the old hotel was still a hotel....great place to stay for the weekend.

I'm with you on the hotel. I never got a chance to stay there.

There's on other thing that gets missed when discussing the program - it's volunteer work for Texas State and the Texas River Systems Institute - both non profits. Its all tax deductible. The course fee, mileage to drive there, hotels, food etc. All deductible as charitable donations. Tax deductible diving - how can you beat that?

bogrady:
Its all tax deductible. The course fee, mileage to drive there, hotels, food etc. All deductible as charitable donations. Tax deductible diving - how can you beat that?

How do you get a receipt for services for your tax records when you do volunteer work?

awap:
How do you get a receipt for services for your tax records when you do volunteer work?
They give you an authorization form you need to take with you every time you volunteer. I'm keeping copies of those in a folder to add up my mileage at the end of the year. You don't need a receipt to deduct for taxes, just some type of record. Mileage for volunteering at non-profits is a 14 cents a mile deduction, not much at all but something.

Back
Top Bottom