Archeaological Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xeptra

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
At this point in time I am only OW certified, however as I have been thinking about what I want to do with my life the idea came to me of archeaological diving. Right now I am majoring in Humanities at FSU, but now need to start thinking of grad school and the future. I have a passion for history, cultures and civilizations and a new-found passsion for diving. In an ideal world I would be able to combine these intrests for an interesting career. Can anyone tell me more about what archeological diving might be about? Or how to immerse myself in this world and start on my way? Is anyone familiar with any schools that have a program involved with this? At this point in time I am just starting to research these new ideas. Thanks for any information and help anyone can give me!:D

I have the complete set of videos and the text book for the Maritime groups underwater archeaological diving course of you are interested PM me!

FSU has a VERY active dive club. I strongly suggest getting with them to gain experience.

You can also contact the Florida Aquarium in Tampa. They have an Underwater Archeologist on staff. They do work with the University of Miami on some projects in south Florida as well as some ship wreck locating on their own.
I know the University of Miami has a great program. I work as a DM for the Florida Aquarium. They do internships in different areas so you might want to check out their website to see if they have anything available that might suit your needs.
When I started with the Aquarium I had not done any kind of archeaological diving so they put me through their training program. It is an amazing feeling to dive in a place where you can see human remains still in the same place they were thousands of years ago.
If you have any more questions or need any other help with it just shoot me a message and I will help however I can.

UCF diver: I actually already am part of the FSU dive club :)
Git-r-dun: That's a great suggestion about the Florida Aquarium. Thanks! I'm from the Tampa Area so that could work out great. I will definitly check out there website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom