Are the Super Wings too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjsteffen:
Now, even your protege, MS whatever has thrown in the towel due to the inability to provide logical responses to his posts.

Yes, I have thrown in the towel. Your idol is a moron and you a lemming. By the way, what is the relevance of "5 dives"? To demonstrate you ARE a recreational diver I imagine. If Danny-boy wants to quote from his OW book and quote "real" divers (cause he ain't), I am pleased to let him. Its when he speaks from his own intrepretation that I have difficulty especially when he tries to attack others. This thread is laden with stupid Danisms just have a read. I have noticed how he doesn't try to defend those comments.

Dan the answer to the math discrepancy you hold so dear to your cause of justifying you as a diver is:

From your post I read this...
"When you consider a Luxfer S080 goes from –2 lb to +4 lb bouyant with air, you can see that using 21/35 would reduce the initial negative bouyancy to -0.2 lb."
I didn't verify your math. Nor, did I read your links to "other" sources. I am sure they are informative.

I should have tried harder to interpret what you are trying to articulate. I just skimmed the post ,<- my mistake.

The difference IS less than 2lbs, I mean WHOPPING 2 lbs.

By the way, one could easily do this in their head.

He is weighs 1/7 that of nitrogen (close enough). taking the volume of gas represented in PSI in a given cylinder we can merely divide by 7.

eg. 21/35 in an 80 @ 3000psi

to simplify let say nitrogen is .076 lb/cuft
I will also simplify by saying your 35% is roughly a third of the total. (accurate enough for the filling methods commonly used)

<start>

1/3 of 80 is 27cuft
27 * .076 = 2 pounds of Nitrogen

2 / 7 = .3 lbs of He

difference 1.7 lbs

<finish>

GEEWIZ that was easy!

So we're less than a 2 lb difference. That is close enough for rock and roll baby! And my stages are still not affected in the least! Do you think it has to do with my SS plate? ha!

msandler:
Yes, I have thrown in the towel. Your idol is a moron and you a lemming.

In what part of the TOS here says you can constantly call names? You've only been here a few months and logged about 25 posts but think it's alright to insult and try and belittle other long standing members. If you want to disagree with other members here, so be it; however please do so in a respectful way or go play on rec.scuba.

msandler:
Yes, I have thrown in the towel. Your idol is a moron and you a lemming. By the way, what is the relevance of "5 dives"? To demonstrate you ARE a recreational diver I imagine. If Danny-boy wants to quote from his OW book and quote "real" divers (cause he ain't), I am pleased to let him. Its when he speaks from his own intrepretation that I have difficulty especially when he tries to attack others. This thread is laden with stupid Danisms just have a read. I have noticed how he doesn't try to defend those comments.

Dan the answer to the math discrepancy you hold so dear to your cause of justifying you as a diver is:

From your post I read this...
"When you consider a Luxfer S080 goes from –2 lb to +4 lb bouyant with air, you can see that using 21/35 would reduce the initial negative bouyancy to -0.2 lb."
I didn't verify your math. Nor, did I read your links to "other" sources. I am sure they are informative.

I should have tried harder to interpret what you are trying to articulate. I just skimmed the post ,<- my mistake.

The difference IS less than 2lbs, I mean WHOPPING 2 lbs.

He is weighs 1/7 that of nitrogen (close enough). taking the volume of gas represented in PSI in a given cylinder we can merely divide by 7.

I will also simplify by saying your 35% is roughly a third of the total. (accurate enough for the filling methods commonly used)

<start>

1/3 of 80 is 27cuft

2 / 7 = .3 lbs of He

difference 1.7 lbs

<finish>

GEEWIZ that was easy!

So we're less than a 2 lb difference. That is close enough for rock and roll baby! And my stages are still not affected in the least! Do you think it has to do with my SS plate? ha!

Msandler, have you noticed that every diver that claims to be an expert on every dive subject hails a GUE cert? They all have one opinion, and it's always proclaimed as the best and brightest. But in the end ,THe same thing that happened to me yesterday will happen to them . Let me explain,

I dove with two instuctors yesterday(tech and rec). From the begining I new it was going to be a skills challenge. I was running a little late and put my kit together the same way I always do ( I thought). From the begining of the first dive I could not balance to save my a$$. I tryed everything.the wings just would not shift gas. I was going thrue gas like a newbie diver and could not hold any depth to within one foot .I was screaming cuss words into my reg.That's right, I looked like a stroke.This dive was the worst dive in years.

Now heres the good part, It turns out I made a simple mistake.( don't laugh , it will happen to you if you don't listen up) When I put my primary reg on , the long hose went over the wing, not behind it. this little mistake pinched the top of the wing and would not allow air to move from one side to the other. well it turned out that COMPLACENCY finally kicked my butt.

I don't know if these two instructors will ever dive with me again.(can't blame them)(they might still be laughing). But one thing I do know is that it will never happen to me again.

I posted this here because we were talking about wings. If this helps one diver out there, than my mistake was worth it.

That's the differance between me and the GUE divers( I can admitt when I stroke things up.You'll never hear a GUE diver admitt to making a simple mistake.( but you know they do sometimes)

You think I'll take any heat on this post?????:)

novadiver:
That's the differance between me and the GUE divers( I can admitt when I stroke things up.You'll never hear a GUE diver admitt to making a simple mistake.( but you know they do sometimes)

You think I'll take any heat on this post?????:)

Now this is a good thread topic, and I think we should start a new thread on it called; "How Many GUE Divers Have Made Mistakes And What Where They?" If any diver says he has never made a mistake (GUE or otherwise) he probably has never been diving away from the internet. :wink: I've made plenty of mistakes while diving and I promise I've learned my lesson.

As far as taking heat on this post, you ain't gettin none from me brother. I appreciate you being candid here and I have definately learned something from you post. :)

boomx5:
Now this is a good thread topic, and I think we should start a new thread on it called; "How Many GUE Divers Have Made Mistakes And What Where They?" If any diver says he has never made a mistake (GUE or otherwise) he probably has never been diving away from the internet. :wink: I've made plenty of mistakes while diving and I promise I've learned my lesson.

As far as taking heat on this post, you ain't gettin none from me brother. I appreciate you being candid here and I have definately learned something from you post. :)

Thanks, I do hope that other divers read this and learn from it, This happened in the local quarry. If this happened at sea the results could have been worse. I should have thumbed the dive and found out why I had the problems that I had.

Complacency kicked my butt!!

novadiver:
Thanks, I do hope that other divers read this and learn from it, This happened in the local quarry. If this happened at sea the results could have been worse. I should have thumbed the dive and found out why I had the problems that I had.

Complacency kicked my butt!!

I find it amazing sometimes how I can look back on a dive in retrospect and say," I knew I should have just stayed in bed today." :)

boomx5:
If you want to disagree with other members here, so be it; however please do so in a respectful way or go play on rec.scuba.

Point well taken.

Dan, Sorry there is no excuse for the name calling. I was out of line.

Funny comment on rec.scuba, back in 1990ish, this mailing list and one called techdiver (i think) were comprised of much the same type of discussions (amazing how little has changed in both content and strategy). This is where I first came across GI. He would vilify the crap out of people and he simply didn't care one bit what others thought of him. Oddly enough, I was in complete support of him. Back then, he wanted nothing to do with rebreathers :) Anyway, we had argued on the same side of a number of such debates and exchanged many emails. Interesting how he made his mark in diving. I have nothing but respect for the WKPP guys. As far as GUE goes, I find what decoeric commented on to be accurate. Its really unfortunate that arrogance and elitism has marred the benefits of DIR. Personally, I am about 3/4 DIR and 1/4 DIW (do it wrong) - "Freestyle DIR" because I am Pro DIR and Pro choice (which means I'm not DIR).

DE, thanks for the comment and sharing your experience!

be safe all

msandler:
Its really unfortunate that arrogance and elitism has marred the benefits of DIR.

I couldn't agree with you more! I find it a bit rediculous when these newly minted Fundies graduates come out shooting their mouths off when I think they should just go get some dives under their belt. I think it's great that they want to share their GUE training with those who will listen, however I think a bit of tact should be in order sometimes.

Just my .02, :wink:

Yes, one could. I chose to show the math so no one could try and make some comment that I didn't know how to calculate it.

The SS plate comment just is another example of how you wander from a post. btw, I have seen first hand how a ss plate can adversely affect ones trim while using 104s. Of course I have no proof of that other than to say two instructor trainers and a host of instuctor candidates were witness to said event. Wait, I can't mention names. I would be name dropping again since I don't really dive . :sigh: And no, it wasn't me, so I guess I have no real experience with this subject either. :ignore:

msandler:

<start>

1/3 of 80 is 27cuft

2 / 7 = .3 lbs of He

difference 1.7 lbs

<finish>

GEEWIZ that was easy!

My rig (when last weighed) was 137 pounds with dual HP100's, but not counting my 40 cubic foot stage. I use a steel BP as well.

Classic Wings work great for that rig at least down to 150 ffw. My other option is my HP120's which are still singled. For them, I recently bought a Venture Wing. That alleviated the issue with the Classics folding over the single tank. I am happy with both set-ups as I do not intend to look at 200 ft. for a while (no money for the training, much less Helium) and the HP100's with stage carry plenty of gas for deco dives.

Just my personal experience. It can be ignored as people wish without damaging my feelings one iota.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom