Are there any secrets to buying weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to be snippy but if the cost of weights is a problem, you are probably in the wrong sport. Maybe the cheapest item in your dive kit. On most diving trips, the weights and "renting" a bottle are included. Hold off on buying them for a while until needed and look hard into soft weights as they are generally more comfortable, especially if you drop one on your toe or your buddy. Most of us accumulate many weights that are rarely used. I probably have 100 pounds in the garage between myself and my wife. I use them for skydiving too.

Not trying to be snippy but if the cost of weights is a problem, you are probably in the wrong sport. Maybe the cheapest item in your dive kit. On most diving trips, the weights and "renting" a bottle are included. Hold off on buying them for a while until needed and look hard into soft weights as they are generally more comfortable, especially if you drop one on your toe or your buddy. Most of us accumulate many weights that are rarely used. I probably have 100 pounds in the garage between myself and my wife. I use them for skydiving too.
I too have lots of weights sitting around even gave away a bunch last year but it seems to have been a rhetorical question for the OP.

Go to your local scrap yard, take a weight with you to show them and ask if they have any in the scrap lead pile. I have acquired many that way for very cheap money.

Go to your local scrap yard, take a weight with you to show them and ask if they have any in the scrap lead pile. I have acquired many that way for very cheap money.
How does one actually find a scrap yard like this these days? Do they exist anymore? I've never seen one where you can just go pull and buy cheap pieces of interesting scrap metal. They're all big recycling centers that won't let anyone in.

Buy used if you can, if you really want to cheap out you can melt fishing weights you find (but melting lead has its own issues). Otherwise no, just shop around best you can.
Alternatively, he can melt his wife's gold jewelry. :wink: Good practice for when he discovers that fully ladden lost Spanish Galleon.

How does one actually find a scrap yard like this these days? Do they exist anymore? I've never seen one where you can just go pull and buy cheap pieces of interesting scrap metal. They're all big recycling centers that won't let anyone in.
Rural areas, where there are still mom & pop operations are your best bet.

If you hit areas where OW classes go, you may be able to snag a full weight pocket or two off the bottom. I got 30# of nice lead that way last year.
I've found about a dozen weightbelts over the years. The heaviest was over 40#.

Back
Top Bottom