Are there any Shops that do lion fish dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m in Stuart with no dive buddies, but I just got taught how to hunt lionfish while I was in St. Croix and since there aren’t a lot of lionfish to hunt there I was hoping to hunt some here.

are there any groups that meet or shops that run lionfish dives?

Virtually every commercial dive operator that I know of in Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties allows divers to cull lionfish, even those that are not usually amenable to traditional spearfishing. Some locales offer “Lion Fish Rodeos” in the summer, so those might be ideal places to find like minded individuals, but you can likely find compatriots on any dive boat in Florida.

Many of the more frequently visited sites are culled constantly, but there are many deep dive sites, (often well below recreational depth,) that are literally overwhelmed by scores of the beautiful invaders. If you’ve got the training, skills, equipment, and inside dope for these spots, then you can harvest to your heart’s delight.

I'm not aware of any shops in the area that run special trips for lion fish. On the other hand, many shops will let you hunt lion fish on their regular dives. Just call around and ask.

Jupiter Dive Center is running lion fish hunting trips now. Check their schedule to see dates.

As others have said, most operators will allow you bring a pole spear on board with you to shoot lion fish.

Jupiter Dive Center is running lion fish hunting trips now. Check their schedule to see dates.

As others have said, most operators will allow you bring a pole spear on board with you to shoot lion fish.

Perfect! Thanks!

I’m in Stuart with no dive buddies, but I just got taught how to hunt lionfish while I was in St. Croix and since there aren’t a lot of lionfish to hunt there I was hoping to hunt some here.

are there any groups that meet or shops that run lionfish dives?
Roatan Honduras has what may be a good lion fish (LF) "business model" the frequent dive sites were mostly cleared of LF by the local dive industry. Now you pay ?50usd to take a brief educational course \ includes a numbered Hawaiian sling and a 1 year permit. Then you pay your dive operator maybe 75usd for an all day trip to the north side where you job is to annihilate lion fish to take home an eat. It was wild.

As others pointed out, JDC is a great option.

Have you checked with Stuart Scuba?
Once upon a time that was my LDS. Great shop.

They have 2 boats. Ocassoonally they will run out of Port St Lu inlet. Mostly points South.
There are some large ones off of Martin Cty, and bulls lol.

If you are looking for polespears, lmk.

I received an email from Scuba Works the other day about an upcoming Lionfish hunt. You'll find that a lot of the hunting dives are during the week.

I'm also in Stuart, did you ever find dive buddies?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom