Are you a recreational, rectech or technical diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this an Advanced Scuba Discussion then? :D I would call myself a scuba diver that is certified for decompression diving.

I think it is.

What you see on ScubaBoard is more a reflection of how the board is divided into forum categories than how divers think of themselves. People tend to participate in the ones that interest them the most, based on where they predominantly dive.
Fair enough.

Now I have a counter question ... why did you feel the need to create this thread?
So far there are 71 reasons.:wink:

and
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (12 members and 1 guests)

So far there are 71 reasons.:wink:
and
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (12 members and 1 guests)

If page views and responses are the only goals, you could have just started a split-fin thread :)

I am a diver.
beyond that you can call me want. but it will be a different label depending in the dive being done.

Pick an Adjective: (feel free to add the the list)
crazy
old school - vintage
minimalist
sport
vacation
hunting/fishing
mixed gas
deco
wreck
cavern
deep sea
salvage
commercial

Last edited:
I feel like this whole thing is kind of self-limiting in the real world. I don't cave dive, so I wouldn't show up at a strictly cave diving site. When I dive a site that features a mix, like Ginnie, I do it in a doublehose with no BC and a 12" knife. Every caver knows that I am not there to cave dive. They do not have to ask me if I am a vintage equipment diver any more than I have to ask them if they are a cave diver. A dog does not need to sniff a cat's behind to tell that it is a cat, although sometimes it does for its own amusement. These labels only really get thrown around on here. I have never once asked an actual diver in person what "type" of diver they were, it is sort of apparent. Maybe I would call myself a "tec" diver (I have a card for that around here somewhere) if it got me discounts or made my junk look bigger, but until then I don't care.

Walter, our usage of the terms clearly differ wildly. No single label can cover all contingencies and I am not trying to say that the term "tech" should be forced to. But a tool or term doesn't need to be perfect to have some uses.

Slonda828: It is that 12" knife that makes your junk look bigger. not a 7ft hose wrapped around the neck...

I think there are a lot of valid viewpoints here.

If you get on a tech charter, and you get out on the boat and discovered all the sites are deeper than 130 feet before you get to anything interesting, and everybody else is doing staged decompression, you may be out of your league.

On the other hand, I'm now Full Cave, but don't view myself as a "technical diver", really, because I have a minimal certification in staged decompression diving, and I don't do wreck penetration and have no desire to do so.

There may be little utility in branding divers, but there is enormous utility in branding dives.

There may be little utility in branding divers, but there is enormous utility in branding dives.

I think that about sums up the whole shebang. Divers dive to the level of their ability, their certification, or both. What they call themselves changes nothing.

BTW, if you (not you Lynn, the nebulous 'you') are not smart enough to ask for max depth, common gas use among divers on the charter, common equipment load outs, surface intervals, and so on then you deserve to sit on the boat when you cannot make the dives. I have sat out dives one time and I never made that mistake again. After that, I called ahead and got all the pertinent info so I can plan my dives or cut custom tables and figure out what I am going to bring. I may be dumb, but I try not to be dumb for the same thing twice.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom