Are You Improving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Is this even an issue to you? Yes

2. In what areas have you improved your skill level in the last month (if that is too short a time frame make it year) ? Breathing rate

3. What training have you taken recently? AOW (Naui)

4. Do the certification cards you possess document skills attained or classes taken?
Well i belive i did learn from the class but the skills come from
diving, diving and more diving.

5. What basic diving skill areas would you like to see improvement in? Bouynacy control

6. What new skills or diving levels would you like to learn in the future? Wreck (penetration) Diving

7. Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving? Not at all

Later

To improve my diving skills:
Read and increased the size of my dive library, taken Stress and Resuce and started Dive Master Training. Went Diving!

Certifications:
OW, AOW, 8 Specialties, Stress and Rescue, Master Diver, Oregon Coast Naturalist.

Improvement:
I can always improve! I'm always trying to fine tune my skills.

New Skills:
Dive Master Skills, Equipment skills

I don't feel like I've stagnated since I try to stay active through diving and education.

Scott

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
1. Is this even an issue to you?
  • Yes, a big issue. My philosphy is that a good diver should always be learning. If you don't learn something new or improve an existing skill, you wasted the dive.
2. In what areas have you improved your skill level in the last month (if that is too short a time frame make it year) ?
  • In last year, I have:
    a: gotten o/w cert (dec 11, 2000)
    b: AOW cert (May 2001)
    c: SDI Wreck (Oct 2001)
    d: SDI Rescue (Nov 2001)
    e: Regular diving has improved general skills as expected.
3. What training have you taken recently?
  • See above
4. Do the certification cards you possess document skills attained or classes taken?
  • Not sure I understand the question
5. What basic diving skill areas would you like to see improvement in?
  • Kicks: Since I'm headed for wreck and possibly cave, I need to learn and practice the advanced kick styles.

And taking a Peak Buoyancy class would probably help with some fine tuning.
6. What new skills or diving levels would you like to learn in the future?
  • PADI DM, Much of the TDI cirriculum including Adv. Wreck and Cave I, photography
7. Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving?
  • No, but I may not understand the question

That's enough for now....
Remember, Uncle Pug loves you....:)
  • we love you to, puggie :1st:

1. Is this even an issue to you?

2. In what areas have you improved your skill level in the last month (if that is too short a time frame make it year) ?

3. What training have you taken recently?

5. What basic diving skill areas would you like to see improvement in?

6. What new skills or diving levels would you like to learn in the future?

7. Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving?

That's enough for now....
Remember, Uncle Pug loves you....:)

1) always
2) fed my brain re read the old 1990 edition of PADI OW manual gave to son currently feeding brain Rescue manual
3) I took the EANx class and found the Physical requirements for DM, and the cost of AI and OWDI
4)yes My cards reflect the formal class instruction I have had. They are kept wtih my log book to document my experience.
5)for myself putting on wetsuit :)to start others bouyancy, buddy communication, dive planning...
6)the over the head gear thing, Instructor
7) Yes ;-0

Uncle, when does the water warm up to the 50's in your neck of the woods??

Originally posted by Fishkiller
Uncle, when does the water warm up to the 50's in your neck of the woods??

Never Fishy... never...

However:

Last nights dive was 3.5ffw for a 41 minute bottom time @ 102F :D

The constant striving to improve my abilities in most aspects of my life carries into my diving.I am good enough,but I 'll always have room to improve. My certs reflect what I actually do.Wish I could manage equipment(reels,bags,lights,speargun,etc..)better.LDS wants me as an instructor,still.I tell them that would cut into my diving.This year look to do more deco stuff.I'm usually one of 2 guys that have the training and equipment to do it in my group.We had been limiting our dive depth & times.We dive together a lot now .This will allow for more challenges this year.

Last nights dive was 3.5ffw for a 41 minute bottom time @ 102F :D
All that cooking and he's still got too much gristle! :mission:

Forgive me, but I'm drowning in sactimonious sycophancy here.

"If I don't learn something new on each dive, the world will explode"

You gotto be joking. Don't you guys ever have dives where you just chase a few crayfish around, or take a couple of happy snaps, or just blow some bubbles? :confused:

Perhaps some of you should learn to just relax and dive :)

I'm not saying I'm perfect, and I have a whole bunch less experience than some people on here, but seriously, a 60 ft dive in an area I know as well as my bathtub (Actually better, seeing as my bath is just used to rinse and store toys) really shouldn't be presenting me with learning situations if I'm just bumbling around, not specificually doing anything.

But then again, perhaps I'm wrong, and have been wasting dives for the last ten years or so...

Mike

I would like to think that I improve with every dive I make. The more I dive the more comfortable I feel in the water and in the use of my equipment. However with experience comes complacency. As long as all my dives are uneventful, there is really not a whole lot to evaluate upon completion of the dive. Nor is there much incentive for me to do so. It’s only when something go’s wrong, that I can sit back and reflect on how I handled the situation. How did I work through the problem, was I anxious, did I take the best possible action or was there a better way ? I almost never have any kind of problem during a dive. One could say that this is attributed to ARDUOUS pre-dive planning ( little pun ) or one could say that I have been very very lucky. I read somewhere that a dive emergency was only an emergency the 1st time it happens to you, after that it’s merely an annoyance, something that has to be worked around. In the end I try to be the best diver that I can be and a good diver is always learning.

Dive Safe ……………….Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom