Are You Improving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good bunch of divers!!!

While not every dive is a formal learning exercise....
Every dive is a learning exercise....

We either take conrol of the process and direct it....
Or it takes control and directs us....

We can develop good habits and learn new skills....
We can develop bad habits and forget old skills....
We can even do both at the same time....
But we can't remain static....
Such is life and such is diving....

This is a good bunch of divers!!!

1). Are you improving?
2). Is this an issue?
3). Improvements 2001?
4) Certs =true skill level?
5). Basic skills I would like to improve on?
6) Future ?

1). I'm trying, (the older I get, the better I was).
2). If it were'nt I'd take up golf. Yuk.
3). Advanced nitrox, drysuit course in Feb.
4). Not yet. DIR takes a lot of practice but its worth it!
5). Breathing. One divemaster I dive (she) with uses nearly half
the air of everyone else. Thats my goal.
6). Trimix, being first to find new wrecks.

Sorry couldn't resist that... BUT, as I was talking to an instructor friend who wants to make the leap to being an instructor trainer during the same week that I will become an instructor, one thing became evident. Sometimes you just have regress to move ahead. Thats right, even during my DM class, my attention to bouyancy took a back seat to observing my divers. Breathing was surplanted by anticipating what the instructor would need next. Gear configuration has been replaced by being in the proper place at ALL times... waiting to become a rescue diver if needed. Sometimes as I help a class I am envious of how oblivious the new divers are of all that is going on around them. As they struggle with fin pivots, I am struggling with keeping an eye on them and everyone else that is part of the group. I guess most of these skills are second nature to me, and I don't dwell on them as much now, because I have other "bigger" fish to fry. Instructing and learning to instruct is a big step for me... I am looking forward to the end of February when I finish my course and have a whole new set of skills to perfect.

Originally posted by NetDoc
I am looking forward to the end of February when I finish my course and have a whole new set of skills to perfect.

May all of your future students be so motivated and inspired to be learners too!

An educator can achieve no higher goal than the one demonstrated in Pete's quote above....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom