Question Are You Tired of the Taxi Ripoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.

This is what I've advocated for over 10 years.
Pay the driver the correct fare, thank him/her, walk away.
we have done this on a few trips to various places when we knew what the cost should be. although it can often times turn into a physical altercation. most people do not want to risk that.

but i do remember on one trip to playa / cozumel that we actually did negotiate the rate to go to the airport when heading home. the fella sent a different driver to pick us up. he drove like a mad man all the way to the cancun airport and then asked for quite a bit more than we had already negotiated.

i paid him what was agreed to, and politely told him to go **** himself.

i am sure many would agree that this is a horrible way to end a vacation and leaves a very sour taste in your mouth that can be hard to get rid of.

The worst is when they try to take advantage of you going to the airport. Just have the money ready in pesos and give them the correct fare and walk away.

I don’t really think about it, I am likely to over tip as well. On trips I prefer to not have angst over small issues. Happy to have access to taxi, beats walking.
Agreed. A lot of blood pressure and angst on limited holiday time over a few dollars just to be righteous. If i lived there for quite some time, things obviously add up, but paying an extra $40 over two weeks isn't worth it for me. Fine if it is for others. Everyone can travel however makes them happy.

Maybe learn some Spanish and have a guy there who's reliable and can help you out over your stay.

The big issue I see here is overpaying just continues to set the wrong precedent that taxi drivers are free to overcharge gringos and all tourists alike. I really I don't mind paying an extra 25-50 pesos. It's not always about the money. I realize this amounts of less than 3USD most of the time. A lot of people who make this argument are infrequent visitors to the island.

It's primarily the principle of the matter. It just encourages continued pricing gouging and bad behavior if you don't call them out. I really hate when people say it's only 2-3USD. Because that quickly becomes, "well it's only 5USD, and it's only 10USD."

Yes, I can afford it but it adds up. I'm likely to tip this amount over anyway. I fully expect there is a "gringo tax" but I've experienced some down right outrageous price gouging in the past. If people are not educated then they likely to just blindly pay it. Wet dive gear? lots of grocery bags? Other gear/equipment? You can bet I am tipping well.

An example: I've had taxis try to charge me 20USD from Centro to Caleta. The fare should only be 110-120 pesos (7USD). For 20USD I kept walking until another taxi stopped and was willing to give me the correct rate. I've had similar experiences taking a taxi from Centro to Puerto Abrigo, etc.

I do not consider myself a "local" by any means of the definition but I live on the island part time in the winter. I try to walk as much as possible but unfortunately my activities require a vehicle.

My solution to this was simply to drive my vehicle from the United States so I have a vehicle on the island. :)

EDIT: Spell/grammar correction. One thing I will say, If you find a taxi driver you like get their name/number. Call them ahead of time if you can. It's very helpful to have a good relationship with a driver you trust.

The big issue I see here is overpaying just continues to set the wrong precedent that taxi drivers are free to overcharge gringos and all tourists alike. I really I don't mind paying an extra 25-50 pesos here and there. It's not always about the money. I realize this amounts of less than 3USD most of the time. A lot of people who make this argument are infrequent visitors to the island.

It's primarily the principal of the matter. It just encourages continued pricing gouging and bad behavior if you don't call them out. I really hate when people say it's only 2-3USD. Because that quickly becomes, "well it's only 5USD, and it's only 10USD."

Yes, I can afford it but it adds up. I'm likely to tip this amount over anyway. I fully expect there is a "gringo tax" but I've experienced some down right outrageous price gouging in the past. If people are not educated then they likely to just blindly pay it. Wet dive gears? lots of grocery bags? Other gear/equipment? You can bet I am tipping well.

An example: I've had taxis try to charge me 20USD from Centro to Caleta. The fair should only be 110-120 pesos (7USD). For 20USD I kept walking until another taxi stopped and was willing to give me the correct rate. I've had similar experiences taking a taxi from Centro to Puerto Abrigo, etc.

I do not consider myself a "local" by any means of the definition but I live on the island part time in the winter. I try to walk as much as possible but unfortunately my activities require a vehicle.

My solution to this was simply to drive my vehicle from the United States so I have a vehicle on the island. :)

EDIT: One thing I will say. If you find a taxi driver you like, get their name/number. Call them ahead of time if you can. It's very helpful to have a good relationship with a driver you trust.
I agree. I'm not proposing anyone needs to get scammed or gouged as that's not fair. I was more alluding to the "gringo tax" you mentioned where I don't expect to pay the local rate and I'm not going to be screaming and pointing at the rate card.

Some worry about it, others don’t. For those that are concerned spend some time supporting and lobbying for Uber and Lyft, that will bring prices down. Just start picketing for the principle,

Just think when you have to go to the airport, you can get ripped off 1 last time by the taxis. Their excuse for charging more to go to airport is because its federal zone.....

That is true. Tarifa De Hotels Al Aeropuerto.
View attachment 826785

Could it also be that they do not have any chance of picking up a return fare?

I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.
when you need a cab from an hotel ask to bellman to call the taxi for you and agree with the driver and the bellman how much it cost. Once you are outside the resort it s become little more sporty. My only advise is to make sure you agree on a fix price before going to point A to B. When you are not happy with a rate you could always ask to another cab, it should be more or less the same in general.

Cheers

I agree. I'm not proposing anyone needs to get scammed or gouged as that's not fair. I was more alluding to the "gringo tax" you mentioned where I don't expect to pay the local rate and I'm not going to be screaming and pointing at the rate card.
I wouldn't "scream," either, but I would point at a rate card if I had one. I used to live close to the border of two taxi zones in my city, and it made a difference in the fare from the airport to my home if they tried to insist I was in the farther zone. I really did have a copy of the zone map with me and would not hesitate to show it to the taxi driver. I'd do the same in Mexico.

The big issue I see here is overpaying just continues to set the wrong precedent that taxi drivers are free to overcharge gringos and all tourists alike. I really I don't mind paying an extra 25-50 pesos here and there. It's not always about the money. I realize this amounts of less than 3USD most of the time. A lot of people who make this argument are infrequent visitors to the island.

It's primarily the principal of the matter. It just encourages continued pricing gouging and bad behavior if you don't call them out. I really hate when people say it's only 2-3USD. Because that quickly becomes, "well it's only 5USD, and it's only 10USD."

Yes, I can afford it but it adds up. I'm likely to tip this amount over anyway. I fully expect there is a "gringo tax" but I've experienced some down right outrageous price gouging in the past. If people are not educated then they likely to just blindly pay it. Wet dive gear? lots of grocery bags? Other gear/equipment? You can bet I am tipping well.

An example: I've had taxis try to charge me 20USD from Centro to Caleta. The fare should only be 110-120 pesos (7USD). For 20USD I kept walking until another taxi stopped and was willing to give me the correct rate. I've had similar experiences taking a taxi from Centro to Puerto Abrigo, etc.

EDIT: One thing I will say. If you find a taxi driver you like, get their name/number. Call them ahead of time if you can. It's very helpful to have a good relationship with a driver you trust.

What's it like driving your vehicle back and forth through Mexico to get to/from Cozumel/Home?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom