Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beach dive with a surface swim...snorkel on my mask and if there's current when I descend, I'll take it off and put it in my BC pocket.

Everything else starts off with the snorkel folded up in my BC pocket....after all, everything else can turn into a surface swim.

Nope, my buddyspanker stays in the bag till the need for it arises :viking2:

I said other, I carry it in my pocket.

My snorkel is just an old-school Tusa tube but it's always worked for me. But the only time I use it is when I'm shore-diving and may have a surface swim with chop. I also use it when wreck diving and you have to get out to a mooring ball and don't want to burn your gas. Otherwise, unless I expect to be on the surface for some reason and there's 2ft+ seas, I leave it in the gear bag.

I always wear a snorkel. Sometimes when I jump in the water I have to wait for my buddy before descending. I use the snorkel while I'm waiting. Again, after surfacing if I have to wait for the boat. Once, in a group, we couldn't find the wreck we were swimming to. As we started to run low on air on the return swim we ascended, did our safety stop while swimming, and then surfaced some distance from the boat. We could have signaled the boat to pick us up, but we all preferred to swim back, and for me, that's much easier face down using the snorkel. It never gets in my way, and it's never caused my mask to leak. It's a cheap open tube type. If water gets in, I blow it out. But I was a snorkeler for decades before learning scuba, so I'm comfortable with it.

I have a bad back, so I take my BC off in the water and let the DM lift it out for me. I find this easier to do and generally more comfortable using the snorkel. If there's no hurry getting back on the boat, I may splash around in the water for a while with my mask, fins, and snorkel. (No freediving after scuba, of course. Just splashing around on the surface.)

I only wear mine whilst snorkeling

This subject has been discussed so much. There are the same pros and cons regarding safety and comfort. Maybe the best idea is the fold up snorkel, though I still wear mine--just because I do use it on surface swims (though I have been told before that this is TOTALLY unnecessary regardless of distance, conditions and whether I swim face down or up!). Mine is the 70th post in about a day--am always amazed that this subject gets so many responses. Who cares if you wear one or not.....

To continue my point (now on page 11): Has anyone ever heard of an accident (fatal or otherwise) resulting from someone either wearing or not wearing a snorkel?

To continue my point (now on page 11): Has anyone ever heard of an accident (fatal or otherwise) resulting from someone either wearing or not wearing a snorkel?
Yes, Ive heard of snorklers passing out and drowning because they dont move all the co2 out of the snorkel :depressed:.

Been a few years since the last time I heard of incidents like that tho

Yes, Ive heard of snorklers passing out and drowning because they dont move all the co2 out of the snorkel :depressed:.

Been a few years since the last time I heard of incidents like that tho

Interesting. I wouldn't believe that could really happen. I assume it would be a result of either a very long snorkel (what's the point?) or more likely that someone would be taking repeated very shallow breaths?

I would think the latter and I would also think the chance is higher with kids than adults

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom